Which DVD writer??

catcha125 22:22 09 Mar 05

Can anyone tell me which DVD writer to buy? I have a film on my computer which I would like to transfer to dvd, but as I only have a CD writer on my poota I cannot. I do not know the first thing about them, can anyone help me? I am so confused about all the different speeds and layers and stuff!!! Tis all gobbledygook to me.

SANTOS7 22:34 09 Mar 05

click here
some good info here
click here
these may help you decide which,good luck..........

TomJerry 22:46 09 Mar 05

?

keith-236785 22:47 09 Mar 05

dual format means you can use +R or -R dvd's

dual layer means you can record upto 8 gig of info (enough for a backup of a proper movie dvd) but at the moment the price of the blank discs are quite high

i cant advise on which burner though as i have only used a NEC 2500A. this has served me well so far.

if you are wanting to burn movies then you will need some software to convert them (unless they are just backups)

most (but not all) dvd drives come with basic disc burning software (nero, adaptec or other) but if you buy a retail package then you will be sure of getting some software. oem drives are more of a lottery, your existing software might support dvd burning depending on how old it is. i think nero needs version 5.5 for dvd support.

catcha125 22:48 09 Mar 05

I am not a computer expert, I would not know what to do!

TomJerry 23:37 09 Mar 05

and more expensive

This is a great one, I got internal model, external one, you just need to connect to usb port, make sure you have usb2 port

LiteOn SOHW-1653SX External 16x DVD-Dual Drive £60.99 click here

GroupFC 09:51 10 Mar 05

If you are going to go down the external route, I have recently bought this one click here

Not had any problems with it really other than (like other DVD writers!), finding the media it is happiest with!

Good luck!

keith-236785 15:39 11 Mar 05

i think your best option would be to take it to a computer shop and let them install the drive for you (not pcworld though), it might cost £25 more but if you are so new to computers then it might be the safest option (having said that, my first time inside a case was fitting a sound card and cd rom in an old 486 many years ago.) we all have to start somewhere.

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…