Which dvd format is best

Nessie 22:20 24 Mar 06

Am thinking of buying a dvd copier and want to know if RAM format is needed. If I am copying data dvds or my collection of dvd films which format is best or does it matter

Nessie 22:22 24 Mar 06

what is +R and -R

FatboySlim71 23:12 24 Mar 06

The ram format is used mainly for dvd recorders, there the type that you have connected to a tv. The +r and -r formats are pretty much the same, the -r tend to be more compatible than the +r, I have never used the +r format, I always use the -r format. The best discs that I have found for compatability/reliabilty are Verbatim -r, I have used countless of these and have never had a single problem. You can buy cheap discs but you are more likely to have problems with them.

DVD-R
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

DVD-RAM
DVD-RAM has the best recording features but it is not compatible with most DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players. Think more of it as a removable hard disk. DVD-RAM is usually used in some DVD Recorders.

Hope this helps.

FatboySlim71 23:16 24 Mar 06

I can reccomend a good dvd writer and this will write to -r +r -rw +rw and also to the dual layer type in the mentioned formats, this drive will as well write to the ram format, the drive is the NEC ND-4550, I use this drive and a few of my mates use them and we have never had any probs, they are a excellent drive.

Nessie 00:35 25 Mar 06

Thanks fatbot. have just orgered the player and discs you suggested cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos