Which DVD driver would i need.??

Uboat 12:33 22 Jan 11

Hi guys ive got a old Presario Media Center SR2019UK Desktop & ive installed Windows 7 (64 bit) i need a driver for the dvd writer cause there isnt one installed, ive been to compaq/HP site and they only offer drivers for XP/Vista??

i cant burn anything to the discs i put in cause it shows as empty drive.?
Can anyone suggest anything pls.?

Thankx

UB

gengiscant 12:36 22 Jan 11

Your drive just might not work under Windows 7,I had a similar problem that I had to buy a new optical drive, compatible with Win 7.

Uboat 12:46 22 Jan 11

gengiscant OUCH!

Thanks for that! i wasnt aware drivers would fail on 7.?

ive tried the windows update and its all upto date...whic drive did u go for btw.?

cheers

UB

northumbria61 12:54 22 Jan 11

I am sure "gengiscant" would agree that a Vista driver "might" work with your drive but Optical drives are so cheap these days it may not be worth the bother.

gengiscant 13:00 22 Jan 11

Got this click here
As you can see by the next link there are 53 pages listing the optical drives that are compatible with Win 7,I had to have one that was not,maybe you have got one also.click here

The one I bought is all singing and dancing with the lightscribe but optical drives can certainly be bought cheaper than the £20 I paid. All depends on what you want.

gengiscant 13:08 22 Jan 11

With you on the Vista idea,but as you say why bother as optical drives are cheap enough these days.

GaT7 13:42 22 Jan 11

I'm with the guys regarding a new drive.....

Any current IDE/SATA one will work. You have 4 SATA ports in total (motherboard details click here), so I'd go for a SATA one. Can't go wrong for £12 delivered click here. G

Miké 13:53 22 Jan 11

Install the Vista driver, using compatibility mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac