Which DVD Decoder do I need?

Keith 12:20 17 Apr 03

With Win Me I have a DVDPlayer which fails to run as it tells me "you must install either a Software DVD Decoder or a Hardware DVD Decoder". It kindly offers Windows Help which is no help whatever!

What decoder do I need? Where do I get it, please. Keith

moore_mat 12:33 17 Apr 03

DVD movies are not a format that older versions of Windows can recognise by default (XP has since resolved this).
Therefore you need to be able to decode the signal to view it on your screen. There are at least 3 ways of doing this:-

1/ If your computer is REALLY old (Pre 333Mhz) then you will need to buy a DVD decoder card - this slots into your PC and comes with all the necessary software to view DVD's on your PC.

2/ If your PC is newer, you could go the Microsoft route and download the latest version of Media Player (I think version 9 now). This has DVD support, but the features are very limited (it is free after all).

3/ The final way is to purchase some DVD software. There are MANY of these out there and it really comes down to personal choice.. Software like WinDVD and PowerDVD are popular titles

Windvd - click here
PowerDVD - click here
Media Player 9 - click here

Hope this helps

leemgilbert 12:37 17 Apr 03

My PC came with a DVD combi drive preloaded with Power DVD. It worked fine on my pc so I would Purchase PowerDVD

crx16 12:55 17 Apr 03

98/ME/XP all require a DVD decoder,downloading WMP9 wont help,you'll just have another DVDplayer thats requires a DVDdecoder.

follow the links on winDVD and powerDVD.

Keith 13:10 17 Apr 03

I'll check outthe links. Thanks all, Keith

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…