Which drivers for this old ISA modem?

Diemmess 18:26 13 Jan 04

Starting to revitalise a friend's old "95" computer. Am about to install 98SE to enable a USB printer.

The modem works fine, but all I can discover in the devices bit, is the description "Intel Enhanced" on Com 2 and a series of command strings.

The modem itself plugs into an ISA slot and carries a Rockwell chip with the following numbers.

Rockwell 97 9746 B45859-3 ...... RCVDL 56ACF/SP ......
... and a sticky label on the circuit board with barcode says G822RU4

I hope to be able to download drivers for this there is a vast array on several sites, but which driver should do I use?

tenplus1 18:46 13 Jan 04

If all else fails and you can't seem to find the exact driver, remember that modems can work under Hayes compatibility as well...

Win 95+ allows you to use Hayes compatible drivers, and if I remember there's a few Rockwell compatible as well in the driver-list...

These should work fine...

woodchip 18:49 13 Jan 04

I can vouch for that in the past

Diemmess 19:26 13 Jan 04

The installation of Win98SE is what I am about, because of the need for a USB source. The modem works fine at present, I just don't want to confess to my friends that while I have solved the connection of their new printer .... they now need a new modem!

R4 19:43 13 Jan 04

What speed is the modem 56K or lower ?

If it is a 56K the 'Standard 56000 bps 56 flex should work OK:

set up in Control Panel : Modems : add

10to2 19:50 13 Jan 04

Here we go!

click here

Diemmess 21:10 13 Jan 04

There is enough here to prevent disaster. The site that 10to2 found is one i visited in a bit of a panic to find the exact drivers. It was overwhelming at a glance but the advice it gives on diagnosis is first class. I will use that before any destruction of the '95 o/s

And if that fails, well there is all the other good advice that is offered.

woodchip 22:40 13 Jan 04

If you go to Add Hardware in Control Panel and choose Modem and select show all devices pick the Hayes than is the nearest fit to the modem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…