Which drive should accompany a DVD Wrtr ?

Giggle n' Bits 22:37 18 May 04

in a decent computer if there is a DVD Wrtr drive which other drive would be beneficial to the DVD Wrtr? a DVD drive or a CD Wrtr Drive ?

Do DVD Wrtr drives play actuall DVD Films or just write ?

stalion 22:46 18 May 04

dvd writers will play cds but you need a dvd player for dvd playback

stalion 22:47 18 May 04

should have added dvd writers also write to cd

Rtus 22:48 18 May 04

most DVD drives that write to dvd can also play most Cdr/Dvdr/dvdrw & mp3 /music formats if there are limitations it should be clearly marked as so on the box/in specifications

Rtus 22:52 18 May 04

to clarify ..stalion I believer is refering to the DVD software needed,unless your running Xp as that has its own bundled version.

the-george 22:53 18 May 04

You do not need any other drive to accompany a DVD writer as this will play DVD and CD-ROM as well as write to DVDs.
If you want to include another drive then the one to choose will depend on your needs. E.g. if you intend copying a lot of DVDs then get a DVD player. However if you need to copy or create CDs e.g. for music then get a CD writer. I would not bother with a plain read only CD drive.
Incidentally if you opt for the CD writer you will be able to speed up the copying process by putting the original CD in the DVD drive.

Giggle n' Bits 00:17 19 May 04

ok, a DVD Wrtr will also Play DVD films ?
if I wanted to copy CD - CD wether it be music and be able to burn data/work files a seperate CD wrtr.

cream. 00:32 19 May 04

Just to clarify. A dvd writer should

write to dvd's ( either dvd+r and + dvd+rw or dvd-r and dvd-rw) or both.

play dvd movies, software required.

read dvd's

burn cdr's ( music + data + vcr's)

burn cdrw's ( ditto )

play cd's

play music cd's

Giggle n' Bits 00:37 19 May 04

I notice + & - being used what the - mean ?

Stuck between a Dedicated DVD drive or CD Wrtr drive now.

temp003 00:46 19 May 04

The + and - refer to the formats which blank dvd's come in. A bit like the old video tapes Betamax and VHS dilemma (except dvd+ and dvd- are the same size).

Get a dvd writer that can write both formats. Most of them do now.

As for the other drive, it's really up to you. But since the dvd writer can burn cds anyway, I should think it's a better idea to buy a dvd drive.

cream. 00:47 19 May 04

DVD's write in two formats. There is the + format or the - format.click here

Manufacturers are getting around this by producing drives that will read and write in both format, e.g.click here

Unless you have up to date burning software go for a retail boxed dvd writer as you may be landed into buying software if you go for an OEM version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now