which discs?

cabbieman 14:05 21 Jun 04

Just got a new computer with a cd and dvd rewriter fitted. What I would like to know is,what recommendations could you give for the best discs to buy for recording on. No doubt there are better quality ones than others.I can do both -/+

scooby43 14:10 21 Jun 04

I think the best ones I have used are verbatium or sony.

€dstowe 14:13 21 Jun 04

What brand/model is the DVD writer?

Compatibility of discs depends much on the machine that's writing to them.

When you have found the make, you could look at a compatibility chart or list at a disc supplier such as click here or click here

I suggest you avoid unbranded and very cheap discs.

€d

PA28 14:15 21 Jun 04

Depends what you want them for. If archiving important material comes into it then stick to branded stock. Do buy from a good source that'll listen if you have problems. DVDs are more critical, but I use Bulkpaq and PC-Line RWs (amazingly) without problems. Look out for speeds as these vary considerably. With CD-Rs for regular archiving I use bulk packs at £15/100 and so far have not lost any data. Horses for courses really - start at the bottom and work upwards.

cabbieman 14:22 21 Jun 04

How do I find out which brand my dvd rewriter is?

scooby43 14:26 21 Jun 04

quote cabbieman Mon, 21.06.04 | 14:22
How do I find out which brand my dvd rewriter is?

Well it usally gives you the name of your dvdrw on the box it came in. You can go to device manager and it will tell you there.

pj123 14:27 21 Jun 04

I use Infiniti from ebuyer at £16.44 for 50. click here

Not had any problems with them.

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:35 21 Jun 04

Don't have a pc DVD rewriter but I have a Panasonic DVD recorder (DVD ram and DVD-r) I use the cheapest DVD-r blanks I could find and have not had a failure yet. Saying that I have yet to find a cheap DVD ram disk !

I think it is more to do with the quality of the recorder than the disks themselves.

cabbieman 14:38 21 Jun 04

All it says in device manager is I have a sony dvdrom and a 1008IB dvdrw so Im still not sure what it is.I t came preinstalled on the pc so have no box for it.

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:43 21 Jun 04

Is it this one click here ?

cabbieman 14:47 21 Jun 04

I guess it could be the one as the Id number is the same. Are the specs ok? Not to hot on pc,s as youv'e probably guessed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…