Which Digital Camera

SupaSteph64 18:23 03 Mar 03

Hi Guys & Gals.

Can somebody please help me with which digital camera to get? It only needs to be a stills camera, easy to use (ie: point and shoot), at least 2 mega pixels (true res. not enhanced (i think)), have at least 16Mb built in memory, USB connection (not firewire) and, here's the crunch, no more than about £70-80. I have found this one: click here that seems to have everything, but it doesn't have a flash. Does it need one for indoor photos or does it cope electronically? It also doesn’t seem to have a zoom facility, but I think most of them that do are only digital versions and that could be done in Paint Shop Pro after the shots are downloaded to PC. If anyone else has any other suggestions of what to get or not to get please let me know.

Thanks everyone, Garry.
Hi Guys & Gals.

Can somebody please help me with which digital camera to get? It only needs to be a stills camera, easy to use (ie: point and shoot), at least 2 mega pixels (true res. not enhanced (i think)), have at least 16Mb built in memory, USB connection (not firewire) and, here's the crunch, no more than about £70-80. I have found this one: click here that seems to have everything, but it doesn't have a flash. Does it need one for indoor photos or does it cope electronically? It also doesn’t seem to have a zoom facility, but I think most of them that do are only digital versions and that could be done in Paint Shop Pro after the shots are downloaded to PC. If anyone else has any other suggestions of what to get or not to get please let me know.

Thanks everyone, Garry.

Cordy13 18:55 03 Mar 03

The Mustek is not a true 2.1 MP it uses interpolation.

You could do worse than having a look at these reviews click here

SupaSteph64 19:50 03 Mar 03

Thanks for the link Cordy13. It's very long winded though and no prices unless you follow the price link and only high end branded units.
The link I posted for the 2Mpixel camera says its interpolated res is 3.1 (2048 x 1536) so surely its real res should be 2.1 (eg: 1648 x 1024 ish). Correct me if I'm wrong. Do you or anyone else know about the flash for indoor use question?
This link: click here is a similar unit and has a flash and the spec back up my point about the res.

Stokey 20:00 03 Mar 03

A recent thread of a similar heading that came up got 23 replies all stating the camera that they were using was the most stupendous bit of kit available. Including my contribution lol. My conclusion therefore:- they must all be much of a muchness. Don't know about the price range you've gone for though but I guess (again) that they will all be fairly similar in their performance.

It's suck it and see I'm afraid. Which is the best questions never provide a which is the best answer .. unless of course someone who knows what they are talking about has in fact tried them all.

Cordy13 20:05 03 Mar 03

I can't find any real specs for the Mustek but I would say that £68 would be an extremely low price for a true 2 MP camera. Without seeing the specs. I would suggest that the lack of a flash will seriously limit its use indoors.

As for zoom, the only useful ones are OPTICAL, digitally zooming will simply increase pixellation especially at low resolutions.

Stuartli 20:43 03 Mar 03

Scan of Bolton sells the Mercury range of digital cameras, which includes a 2.1MP with TFT screen and flash for around £86; cheaper when it is featured on its TodayOnly page.

It's listed under Products>Cameras as:

LN4523 Mercury 2.1Mpix Digital Camera with Flash+TFT+Digital Zoom.

I'm sure that the TodayOnly page also features a version with an MP3 player, but might be wrong.

Scan is at click here

ams4127 20:51 03 Mar 03

My advice would be to do what I did. Go to Dixons, or similar, explain what you want and try them all. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Then, when you have decided which one you like, shop around the various sites for the best price.

anchor 08:40 04 Mar 03

I would agree with the last post, up to a point!.

In my opinion Dixons would not be the best place to visit, try a "real" photo dealer. There are many private shops around, and the multiple company "Jessops" can be found in many towns. These retailers will often let you try out a camera in the shop, and see the results.

To be honest, I think your budget is rather low for a good 2Mp camera.

bfoc 10:26 04 Mar 03

Which is pretty good.

Morgan computers are currently selling it at slightly above your limit click here

However if you visit their auction site click here they often have bargains going. Just remember that their auction bids are vat exclusive.

If you can stretch to a bit more you should find you have a good chance of getting a decent camera.

flu 10:27 04 Mar 03

I think flash is important. Bought one of those small digital cameras without flash (Sipix) and I can mostly use it outdoors but seldom indoors. The few pitures that I've taken indoors were in very bright conditions. Most times I find myself either looking around for a bright place to shoot or giving up when there's been too many error beeps due to insufficient light.

SupaSteph64 16:48 04 Mar 03

Thanks everyone for your help. I've desided to go for the Fuji Finepix 2300. I found a brand new one on eBay for £95. You can view the item here click here if anyone else interested in one. He still has 7 left.
Thanks once again to you all, Garry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…