Which desktop to buy ?

nokka 16:08 PM 10 May 10

I run a small business and use my current PC (Acer Aspire) for large parts of the day. I don't tend to do anything too fancy; the majority of what I do is based on Office, or doing work online and of course sending and receiving emails. I tend to be online much of the day.

Sadly, my Acer is slowing down significantly and I feel it is time to buy a new PC.

I bought the July 2010 edition of PC Adviser as it had the Best Buys in the sub £500 category, which I reckoned was where I wanted to be. I confess I hadn't heard of the companies which came top (Eclipse, Chillblast) and usually prefer to deal with better known brands. There also seemed quite a lot of stuff about graphics cards and I don't do gaming, so wondered whether I wasn't really their market. In addition, I got the impression they are perhaps aimed at an enthusiast, which I'm not. I just need the PC for various office functions.

I feel I need a decent sized hard disk (My Acers is only 115GB, so probably anything will be better than that) and a good amount of RAM ( Acer has 480MB only). I don't particularly need a new monitor, but may have if its included at a reasonable price. A DVD RW (is that type of thing standard now ?) would be good, plus lots of USB ports.

What do you think I should buy ? Wouldn't really want to spend over £500.

Forum Editor 19:06 PM 10 May 10

How about a Dell?

click here

To see an Inspiron 570 - it's right up your street in terms of specification. It comes without a monitor, but if your current monitor was purchased at the same time as your computer it may be time to think about a new flat panel if the budget would stretch to it.

My recommendation is that you build yourself a machine on the Dell site, and see how it goes - it's an easy process, you can add/remove things until you're comfortable with the cost.

Good luck - feel free to ask for further help and/or advise if you need it.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…