Which CPU should I get

Rich 10:49 20 Jan 03
  Rich 10:49 20 Jan 03

Please help

I don't want to open a can of worms or anything here but I want to upgrade my PC and a local store near me told me that a AMD athlon is better than a Pentium 4 CPU. His idea being that I would get alot more for my money.

AMD Athlon 2.0XP £81.36

Pentium 4 2.0ghz £153.22

Savings are obvious, but which is best?

Also what are your opinions on LEX motherboards?

powerless 11:13 20 Jan 03

AMD vs INTEL = Complete disaster!

Depends what you using your computer for...Email, internet, printing, scanning, music, then either amd or intel would be up to the job

Computer games? Then you have to make a decision...Well the Athlon 2000XP out performs the Pentium running at 2Ghz. So go for the AMD.

Although if you are running applications that specfically require and Intel then get the Intel.

Bottom line go for AMD!

Lú-tzé 11:17 20 Jan 03

For those prices, go with the AMD - I think it runs faster than the Pentium 4 2ghz.

Lex mobo are generally at the lower end of the scale - I have not heard anything good or bad about them, but would suggest going for one of the bigger brands- asus, gigabyte etc.

SHED 11:34 20 Jan 03

I have a socket 370 p3 800 mhz, pc chips board and windows 98se is there any sites that i could use to find out if i can put in windows xp upgrade in over the 98se or do a system check

Lú-tzé 11:37 20 Jan 03

SHED - try a new posting for your question.

However, go to www. pcpitstop.com and they have an xp compatability test.

Lú-tzé 11:38 20 Jan 03

click here for a direct link, SHED.

Rich 11:40 20 Jan 03

Thanks for your replies.

I'm off to get my upgrade..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…