which CPU ?

Madrat 19:14 11 Dec 10

Please help I am totally out of Date and confused.

I'm looking for a new lap top and don't know what CPU to go for. Depending on where you look you get conflicting results as to the specs of them.

So out of Intel there is the core i3 330m or 350m but on paper these seam slower than the Dual core T3200 - T4500 out of AMD there is the P320 and P340 or the M340 and what is L3 cache????? some have it and so dont, do I need it??

I stopped researching things like this after I upgraded my PC to and Athlon 3000!!!

Please help.

GaT7 19:44 11 Dec 10

Panic not, the helpful people at NotebookCheck have made a benchmark list of most (if not all) laptop CPUs - see click here. The better the CPU the higher up the list it is.

To go to the ones you need to look at quickly, do a Ctrl+F in your browser & enter the processor model (e.g. 330M) in the search field & press Enter.

Most of the CPUs you mentioned will be virtually the same in most everyday tasks. So tell us if you plan to do anything out of the ordinary or power-hungry (3D games / video-editing / similar) with the new laptop. And also your budget. And why a laptop & not a desktop? G

Madrat 20:41 11 Dec 10

Thanks

Need a lap top due to lack of space and moving about, don't want anything over 15 or 16 inches.

don't do any demanding gaming unless you count Farmville, but do use it for basic photo and sound file editing, Defiantly need something better than the intel atom in my netbook.

Budget, as low as possible availability of larger battery's would be good as well.

Madrat 21:43 11 Dec 10

should I go for a CPU with QPI or FSB?

zulu0121 22:42 11 Dec 10

hi buy a laptop with a t7200 or t7xxx try and get one with a graphics card not on the motherboard ie cheap dececnt 2nd user laptop hp nx9420 independent grahics card, better than t4200 and cheaper thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant