Which CPU

leskart 20:01 11 Nov 06

Hi,just joined today and in need of advice.I dont know why but I decided to build my own PC!My M/B is a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI-Royal and I have a Gigabyte GV-3D1 Graphics card.I am confused as to which Intel CPU I should use.The rest of the kit so far is Thermaltake Armor case,Creative Fatal1ty sound card,2 W/D Raptor drives,a H/P DVD 840 Lightscribe,a Sony CD rom and various other bits of kit.Memory will be from Crucial and I will be running XP Home.Any advice would be most appreciated.Thanks.

Technotiger 21:47 11 Nov 06

Hi, I would suggest you get at least a 1.8Mhz
CPU - though bigger is better. My own preference is for AMD, cheaper and generally as good as, if not better than, Intel.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers

bremner 22:09 11 Nov 06

Until recently AMD held the baton but Intel has taken a huge leap forward with the Core 2 Duo.

You only have to look at the PCA power top ten - for years you hardly ever saw an Intel based machine, now the number 1 is based on the Core 2 Duo.

AMD have some serious catching up to do.

Ashrich 23:09 11 Nov 06

See what bios this this board has , it natively supports Pentium4/PentiumD , but had a bios upgrade to support other Intel processors , maybe Core Duo or Core2 's , did you buy it brand new as it came out mid 2005 , any indication of date of manufacture ? Latest CPU microcode update was 17/1/2006

Ashley

leskart 19:19 13 Nov 06

Thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5