Which cable?

ToniMac 10:56 08 Jul 06

Hi all,

Looking for some help please. I'm trying to print to a printer I just got and I'm having a little trouble.

I'm on XP, the printer is connected to my router using rj45 cable. I have downloaded the PCL5 driver and it seems to recognise it's there but doesn't print.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Cheers to all
Paul

Jackcoms 11:39 08 Jul 06

The printer should be connected to your PC using a PS2 or USB cable, not to the router.

Jackcoms 11:41 08 Jul 06

Sorry, that should read parallel or USB, NOT PS2

thms 11:43 08 Jul 06

As said printer should be connected to pc or if sharing through a usb hub. Connecting through router will work for sending fax but only if your printer supports it.

Taff™ 11:51 08 Jul 06

What make and model printer is it and which router? It sounds like it`s a networkable model. HP perhaps?

ToniMac 12:01 08 Jul 06

It's a Ricoh CL3000DN. It has a network card & usb port on it but thought it would work through the router?.

ToniMac 12:03 08 Jul 06

sorry with Belkin 54g router

thms 12:10 08 Jul 06

Is there a reason whey you want to connect through the router. If this is connected to a single pc it would be easier to connect via usb port.

ToniMac 12:17 08 Jul 06

I have a wireless laptop upstairs which I wanted to print from.

I guess I could do that still using a usb cable?. I'm only using the RJ45 cable since I had one in the house. Since I cant even get it printing from my host pc I haven't even got to the stage of printing from laptop!.

Paul

thms 12:24 08 Jul 06

When connected to the router you may need to share it. In fact if you want to use it with your laptop you will need to do this. Go to control panel select printers right click on your printer and select sharing. Select share this printer.

ToniMac 12:28 08 Jul 06

thanks for replies thms. Appreciate it.

I've selected share this printer when I was installing it. I've given it an ip address, added the port. Then tried to ping it but no reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…