which to buy to back up and store pc and notebook?

dnjl 18:37 21 Feb 07

After a long search, come to conclusion a 250gb external hard drive is needed for this job.

Would I have to purchase anything else with either of these to work? Does anyone have either of these? Any recommendations?

Cannot decide between 2 -
"La Cie" 250gb HD 7200rmp at £61.99 from CCL OR
"Freecom" 250gb HD 7200rmp including adapter at £58.74 from ebuyer.

I am Spartacus 19:01 21 Feb 07

In June 2005 I bought 2 Lacie 250GB 7,200 external hard drives and at the time recommended them to others. One failed 13 months later and the other failed earlier this month.

The 120GB Freecom Classic drive I bought in August 2003 has been in use every day and is still running.

dnjl 21:21 21 Feb 07

Hi Spartacus,
Thanks for that. Freecom : 1 La Cie : 0
As I want to use it mostly for back-up. Do you think it would be OK to back my PC and then back upo my notebook?

I am Spartacus 21:43 21 Feb 07

I use multiple backup methods which include an additional internal hard drive, 2 external hard drives plus a mobile hard drive I carry around with me. I also regularly copy data to DVDs and store them off-site.

It's also worth considering a Disk Image program to create a simple to restore image in the event of major problems or disk failure.

Some people copy the data and then delete it from the source drive. That isn't backup, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

I also used to copy the data to my laptop but the hard drive is too small for me to continue to do that now.

dnjl 16:06 22 Feb 07

Hi Spartacus,
I didn't mean to back up my computer to the notebook - I meant to back up my PC and my notebook on the same external hard drive - I seem to recall somewhere along the line that the external hard drive can only be linked to or the other - but I could well be wrong on this. Any ideas?

silverous 16:27 22 Feb 07

I'd recommend a copy of Acronis True Image to do backups. I bought mine for a very good price from Amazon. It is a great piece of backup software.

I am Spartacus 18:00 22 Feb 07

I misunderstood. It's easy to back up both your laptop and desktop to the same drive if they use the same or compatible file systems. However you need to be careful with file synchronisation if you have the same data on each but at different versions. If not then just create a Desktop and Laptop folder and copy the data into each.

I would also highly recommend Acronis TI and have used it for a few years now and have used it to restore an image on at least 5 occasions after either hard disk failures or me or software stuffing something up, well worth paying for. I got version 10 from Amazon recently for £23 (it was easier than doing an upgrade via Acronis themselves) even though it was slightly more expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac