Which broadband router to chosse?

johnem 15:30 25 Nov 06

I am just about to upgrade from a Voyager 105 modem to a wireless ADSL router/modem.
Whilst appreciating that often it is down to a matter of personal choice, which is it best to go for, an 11g unit, pre-n or mimo?
I am running XP Pro SP2 and IE 7. I would like to be able to access the internet from one laptop via wireless and my main desktop which will be wired via the lan port.
Your opinions would be appreciated.
Once I have established the best format to choose, then I can try to narrow it down to the best make/model to do the job.
Not sure if this should be in this section or the main 'helproom' forum.

mgmcc 15:45 25 Nov 06

Whether you opt for standard 802.11g or one of the "speed enhanced" versions depends on how much you are likely to do in the way of large file transfers between computers in your local network. As far as the internet is concerned, the 54Mbps speed of standard 802.11g is well above the comparatively slow speed (in networking terms) of a broadband connection, so the effect is zero.

Also, to use a proprietary "speed enhanced" router, you would need to install a compatible Wireless Network Adapter in your laptop, which is probably already "wireless enabled" with the standard "G" protocol.

However, if you are likely to experience problems getting a reliable signal in the type of property it will be used in, MIMO technology could bring improvements.

johnem 16:23 25 Nov 06

mgmcc,
Thanks for the speedy reply. Will have to start sorting out the makes and models. Will then come back for some more advice.

Brian-336451 16:27 25 Nov 06

I have two networked wireless laptops and am at 802.11b standard. I get transfers that average 200 - 300 k as standard.

'B' standard comes in real cheap, 'g' is available everywhere.

Provided it's a reasonable deal it probably doesn't matter much. Mine is an Asus WL500 and is brilliant, being very easy to access and set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017