Which broadband ISP?

TommyRed 15:30 26 Feb 04

I'm toying with the idea of moving to broadband especially as the lad agrees and the wife isn't kicking up to much of a fuss. The lad's gonna pay the difference between dial-up anytime £13.49 per month and whichever one we choose. We'd like to find one that gives free connection & modem as well. Is there a site where prices/deals can be compared? TIA TR

BEVERLEY-256334 15:39 26 Feb 04

I've just had a letter from Telewest blueyonder broadband this morning, new customers can get it installed absolutely FREE, Free modem, FREE conection by their own engineers. To check availability in your area or buy online go to click here. I've had this a couple of years now, the customer support is great any problems are usually solved in minuets over the phone (local rate calls)

BEVERLEY-256334 15:43 26 Feb 04

I've just noticed that this offer finishes on the 29th Feb, but they very often have this offer on, so keep looking if you miss it.

BEVERLEY-256334 15:50 26 Feb 04

looks like they've extended the offer to 31st march.

Djohn 16:02 26 Feb 04

click here to compare ISP's prices and performance. I'm with Zen and have nothing but praise for them but you do have to pay an up-front fee for activation and modem although they do not tie you to a contract.

They can have you up and running in 3-5 days from your first call to them. 3 days in my case.

Plusnet is also well recommended, they do several offers at different prices and some include the activation fee/modem.

From the ADSL page, look to the left pane and click on "Compare". You then select any 6 ISP's at a time and see how they rate against each other. Broadband is a big commitment to make, even without a contract, so don't look for the cheapest but rather the one which suites you best. Take your time and go into the forums of each ISP and see how the users themselves rate them. [You can do this from the ADSL page].

I don't think you will go far wrong with any of the main players. Nildram/Pipex/Plusnet/Zen and several others. Good luck with your choice, you will enjoy the benefits of having a faster connection and a phone that can be used while your surfing. j.

expertec 16:27 26 Feb 04

If you are in a Telewest area I would reccomend you get blueyonder broadband, click here to see if it's available in your area

stylehurst 16:37 26 Feb 04

I agree regarding Telewest, service performance seems very good after 6 months with them.
They supply the modem, and you get a reduction if you are ussing their Telephone or TV service.

BarryKeith 18:22 26 Feb 04

Telewest are not only good on their helpline, they also have a very informative status page about any network/server problems and will send a technician out if there are any problems that require it (As happened to me some months ago when a driver went down on the fibre optic cable in the street.).

jbaker65 18:24 26 Feb 04

v21 does a 512k BB for £19.99 a month wiyh no time limit. works for me.

lewis187 18:26 26 Feb 04

ntl are the best. a 1mb for 34.99 a month and it runs like a dream with good customer service, free setup, free modem and amazing speed for downloading and things of that nature!
why wait?!

holly polly 18:28 26 Feb 04

going to say somethingg contrversial now ,i live in a telewest area but have instead aol adsl i find it very good rock steady and reliable technical help is free ,where as some isps charge upward of 60 p a minute ,the prices on aol are competative -£27.99 for 512mb or £34.99 for 1 meg thats cheaper than telewest also a friend of mine was with telewest and vowed that he would never touch them again as the support sucks .
i realise that you will recieve many conflicting reports and there exists on this forum a hatred of aol from certain members ,
my observations are for the price with aol you recieve a comprenesive package spam filtering firewall free etc free modem .
in a word i can't complain -hol pol....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…