which broadband icon to use to connect

pookie 11:00 27 Nov 05

hi guys

silly question.

i have tiscali 2Mb uncapped. read that new modem driver was available for the sagem modem they supplied. i followed the installing driver instructions. now under internet connections i have original 'tiscali broadband' but also a new 'internet adsl' icon. i can connect fine from either - in fact new adsl seems faster. does it matter which i use for any reason??? does the new icon mean i am connecting to another supplier and will charged monthly for tiscali and someone else??

cheers guys

P

iscanut2 11:20 27 Nov 05

I have two icons, one of which connects to the software provided by my modem ( Speedtouch ). I use either.Either should do the same job. Try them both and you should get the same connection as determined by the settings in Netowork/Internet settings in Control Panel. Unless you have set up details of another ISP provider there is no way you can copnnect to anyone else other than the ISP that you have set up to dial into.

pookie 19:35 27 Nov 05

many thanks. as an update on speed i downloaded the latest ati drivers (30Mb+) using both tiscali icon and also internet adsl icon. connecting to internet using adsl icon downloaded ati drivers 45 seconds quicker which mightn't seem much but that was for a fairly small download.

cheers

P

Stuartli 21:51 27 Nov 05

Both do the same job but the Notification area version will dial up automatically if you choose Tiscali Broadband as the Default connection or, alternatively, clicking on the Desktop icon.

The Notification area icon also details connection status and activity and can be used to disconnect.

On the other hand the Internet ADSL icon brings up the equivalent of the dialup connection panel - you can choose to Remember the username and password or enter them manually each time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…