Which BIOS

atoms 15:05 31 Dec 03

I have a 5gb hard drive which is being recognised only as a 2.2gb. I want to add a 40 gb drive. Realising I neded to upgrade my BIOS I visited the manufacturer's (QDI Group) website. The Board is a
P5i430TX/ATX Tittanium IIb Bios Ver 2.1s 12/09/97

There are three updates available, all with the same date in 1998. One is stated as Version 2.1s. I downloaded it and on flashing the BIOS it reported a successful flash. However when the PC restarted it reported all the BIOS versions as before. The Version 2.3sl specifically mentions large drive support for Version 2 motherboards whereas the 2.1s does not.

Am I safe to use this? I have tried e-mailing support in China but they do not appear to understand my problem and keep telling me to look for the version number on the edge of the motherboard. I have already quoted the Version number as reported by AMD bios interrogator and am hoping someoen with a greater depth of knowledge than me can advise.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:07 31 Dec 03

When you flashed the bios did you laod the optimal defaults after? sometimes this kicks it back life lol,then reset to what you had it as before.

Regards.

hugh-265156 15:16 31 Dec 03

is this a QDI board?

if you are unsure do not flash the bios untill you correctly identify the update needed for your model.

aida32 personal etd will identify the board click here

install it and click computer/summary

look at "motherboard name" "motherboard chipset" and "bios name"for info.

hovering your mouse over the bios info should give you a link to a update download for your board.

DieSse 15:26 31 Dec 03

The reason they are telling you to look at the version on the edge of the motherboard, is that they are talking about the motherboard version - no the BIOS version.

It often happens that different version BIOS's are applicable to different motherboard versions.

If you look here click here it mentions one update for a titanium IIb - and it says for PCB version3 only. This PCB version is the one I think they are telling you to look for.

DieSse 15:28 31 Dec 03

PS I can't find the updates you refer to (see the link I found above)- can you point to them please.

clayton 15:39 31 Dec 03

if you motherboard is pcb v2.0 then you need the second bios down click here

have you read this page click here

DieSse 15:47 31 Dec 03

Well spotted clayton - I wonder why they seem to have two different places to go for BIOS updates.

clayton 15:54 31 Dec 03

DieSse

All you needed to do was click on Titanium IIB with the link you provided.

DieSse 16:00 31 Dec 03

Sometimes it's just too obvious!!!

atoms 17:34 31 Dec 03

Thanks to all for your help/advice.

I'll have a go at this tomorrow - if in a fit state! Happy New Year to you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…