Which is the better OCR of these two...

Simsy 23:20 19 Nov 05

Hi folks...

I've a small job tomorrow, installing my old scanner on my sisters PC. I'll also be installing some OCR software...

I'm familiar with Omnipage 11. I bought it, but have recently bought version 14 so I am giving that to her...

Or am I??...

I have ReadIris Pro 7, from a recent coverdisc, and I could install this instead.

Does anyone out there have experience of both of these and can advice which is better.

Accuracy of reading text is more important than getting layout right, but comparisons on both aspects would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

VoG II 23:26 19 Nov 05

Hi Simsy

Sorry I have not run both. But I have Omnipage and it works just fine...

keewaa 23:38 19 Nov 05

I tried a free copy of readiris from a cover disc a year ago, tried to scan in something I typed out years ago on an old typewriter and it was completely useless .... whether it was just the font it didn't recognise or what, I don't know but I didn't wait around to find out.

Simsy 23:43 19 Nov 05

Perhaps I should have asked a different question as well...

How old is ReadIris version 7? i.e. what's the current version?

I shall now find the answer to that elsewhere!!

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 06:46 20 Nov 05

It is version 11 I'll be giving to her...

I've re-read my original posy in the light of your comment and I now realise that's not clear... so my original question is looking for a comparison between OmnipagePro11 and ReadIris Pro 7

I've since found out that ReadIris Pro now appears to be on version 10, so I'm still keen for any comments on version 7.

Regards,

Simsy

sunny staines 09:35 20 Nov 05

I have pro7 it is ok. but each time you reinstall it you have to email them for a new key number which only took 2 days for a new number and no cost.

The OCR I found is ok. [got the free magazine version]

Wak 13:27 20 Nov 05

There's an excellent and accurate FREE OCR program called ABBYY Fine Reader which you can download.
You can find it on Google.

Simsy 16:17 20 Nov 05

and after all that I couldn't get the scanner to work!!

I know the scanner isn't faulty, becasue I've just brought it back home, (30 miles across London... deep joy!!), and it works ok with my win98...

I think, (hope), it's a power problem and I just need to get a powered USB hub.

CanonFB630U which gets it power via the USB cable... the PC is an old Compaq, P11 400Mhz. I'm assuming it doesn't have a very powerful power supply.

Anyway, that's another problem. I'll sort that out first before persuing the OCR.

Thanks for all the input.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…