which is the best software to remove bad sectors

BB[big brother] 14:07 21 Jan 06

i had a problem with my hard disc .it later appeared to be bad sectors.which is the best software to remove bad sectors

PaulB2005 14:10 21 Jan 06

You can't remove hard sectors as they are physical problems with the drive. Scan Disk or CHKDSK will mark them as unusable so they don't get used but you can't remove them.

Totally-braindead 14:27 21 Jan 06

PaulB2005 is right, you can't remove them as they are faulty.

Diemmess 14:34 21 Jan 06

Several years ago I bought a budget PC for my son and his family.
I bought it without software and failed to install Win98SE.
The HD was replaced by the vendor(showing very large number of bad sectors).

The same thing happened with the replacement!
To their credit the vendor took the whole unit back and returned it with another (3rd HD)

Same thing yet again though this time it failed even to format the HD reporting 35% bad sectors!
Once more it made a round trip, and though I wasn't given any detail about what had been found, (I can only assume a mobo or RAM fault) they said they had successfully installed W98SE and removed it.
I installed the W98SE successfully - the computer behaved for several years until replaced with a better one.

The point is that a quick format simply deletes some things, makes any data inaccessable, but I wonder if the old fashioned DOS - FDISK and FORMAT (with the thorough surface scan switch), would recover previously 'marked' sectors?

Totally-braindead 14:38 21 Jan 06

You've got me wondering now Diemmess, I can vaguely remember formatting a drive with bad sectors when I had Win98 and I think it might have come back, but to be honest its that long ago I can't remember.

PaulB2005 14:39 21 Jan 06

click here

click here

An FDisk will mark them as Good again. However as it is a physical problem with the drive they will come back.

Chegs ®™ 14:57 21 Jan 06

Occasionally windows gets its facts wrong and will incorrectly mark a HD sector as bad.Use of the HD mfg's HD software(Maxtor has Maxblast)to low-level format the HD can usually correct these type of problems,but beware of using them as it can lead to all kinds of strange behaviour if the HD is actually failing.

SB23 15:01 21 Jan 06

I've got some bad sectors on my Hd.Its a Seagate, and it was recommended that I do a format via the tools available from the manufacturer's site.
The program that I downloaded creates a bootable diskette,and all the various options run from this disc.I did what is called a "zero fill drive",that does something to the bad sectors that Windows cannot do anything about.It did something, because the Hd is still working, but I've still got a new one ready to put in,just in case.

Diemmess 15:39 21 Jan 06

It must be obvious in the response you have had so far that the big question is - Why any bad sectors at all!

If it was merely a glitch finding some corrupt code then you can continue to use the HD as usual.

If it wasn't a glitch, but the beginnings of failure by the HD itself, you have an early warning to replace it.

Just to confuse things, other hardware like RAM motherboard or even the PSU can scramble the rudimentary binary code that goes on the HD and then when read, doesn't agree with what should have been written!
You can decide for yourself but do tell us what you think.

Thalmus 15:45 21 Jan 06

Also a hard disk will always have some bad sectors, its when you start getting lots and lots you should start worrying

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009