Which is best pen or label

hinny 20:33 05 Dec 04

I am thinking of printing labels for my photo cds as I have been writing on them. However they do look messy, but I seem to have heard that labels damage the cds. What is your highly respected opinium on this, thank you.

Technotiger 20:38 05 Dec 04

Hi, proper commercial cd labels are fine, you can even put your own designs and print as well. However, if you are talking ordinary sticky labels I would say that is a no no. Look in any pc shop and you will see plenty to choose from, look for PRESSIT, comes complete with label applicator. Get someone to buy it for you for Christmas :-))

hinny 20:44 05 Dec 04

I have a Pressit label applicator and labels, but I am having doubts in case I damage the cd and loose my photos. I am just an old biddy, and a natural worrier. Is the Pressit label outfit the best one do you think? Cheers

Technotiger 20:47 05 Dec 04

Hi, they are all much of a likeness - I use Pressit, have done for several years - no problems. I am only 70:-)) lol

Salinger 20:50 05 Dec 04

Why not make two copies, put a label on one and just a number on the other. If you put info on the label just give it the same number, voila, you have a backup as well!

Sapins 20:53 05 Dec 04

Divn't worry, you won't damage the CD, but, If you want to play a CD in a car player, or any player with rollers, _do not use labels_, they can damage the player beyond repair if they begin to come unstuck.

If you are thinking of getting a new printer you can buy one that will print directly onto CD's, Epson do one, don't know about other makes.

woodchip 20:59 05 Dec 04

I have used commercial cd labels, and they made my CD's unreadable after about 4 months, I used a pen once and the silver on the CD disintegrate leaving holes in the silver. these finished up none readable. So take care and make your choice

Buchan 35 23:11 05 Dec 04

HINNY<
thanks for this link. I was about to start on Monday 6th. printing labels and you`ve saved me. As our peers say, there`s nowt better than a biro,or somothing like that

The Spires 23:22 05 Dec 04

I have archive Cd's with labels on going back 9 years all work fine. I actually checked this after reading reports of disc failures on here. In all the hundreds of labels (commercially & domestic) I have used only a couple have ever peeled. Actually labels can protect the top side of a Cd where the data is which is often unprotected & irreparable if slightly damaged unlike the bottom which can be skimmed.

Sapins 08:53 06 Dec 04

Do you play the CD's in a car player? If so they will start to peel eventually and then your player will be damaged. CD drives on a computer will work OK all the time as the CD just sits in the tray, no rollers involved.

gudda96 09:01 06 Dec 04

Hinny

I am a novice but my experience is that I started off with Pressit and anothlike it and the applicator.

I eventually got fed up with it and made several mistakes so now I use the proper pen (mine is called Mirror)and its quicker and safer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…