which is best free anti-virus

iarno 21:32 15 Sep 08

Hi all,
Simple question, does anyone know which is the better of these two:- Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus, or AVG 8 FREE. I have the latter.

Thank you.

I.

Technotiger 21:37 15 Sep 08

I too use AVG Free - so I would say stick with that!

dms_05 21:39 15 Sep 08

I use AVAST with Vista.

I did use Comodo with XP but it isn't suitable for Vista.

according to click here avira is the best av, again paid or free. click here

iarno 22:01 15 Sep 08

Thanks for response.
I have XP Home, I,m not thinking of changing but would like an opinion on the difference between the two. My daughter has Avira. Does anyone else use it.
cheers.

I.

DieSse 22:01 15 Sep 08

I've seen and read so many issues with AVG, that when people insist on a free AV I now always use Avast.

Features AVG free doesn't have - which make it less than stellar protection click here

I doesn't even protect you against malicious downloads or web pages.

I use and have always use eset (NOD) - which you pay for annually. It includes all levels of protection and is faster, smaller and generally all round superior to any AVG version.

What price a small annual fee for fast, unobtrusive, comprehensive protection.

iarno 22:03 15 Sep 08

Thanks adman 2.

I.

DieSse 22:13 15 Sep 08

You should also note, that good as the Avira tests were at av-comparatives, this was for the paid, not the free version - and that it had many false positives.

Differences in what Avira free and paid versions provides. click here

iarno 22:35 15 Sep 08

DieSse
Thanks for your two posts. I,ve just been reading the comparatives and come to the conclusion there is very little difference. At least I now know. Will tick this as resolved.
If my daughter ever has any probs I will let you all know.

thank you very much.

I.

Taff™ 23:10 15 Sep 08

My Vote goes to Avast 4 Home Edition - Free.

Let`s not get paranoid about the tests sponsored by various people. AVG Free is probably on the same base level for their free edition as well as a few others. If you are worried about it just pay Norton or Mcafee £30 - £40 for their offerings. I personally have never known a "Home User" who has been let down by either AVG or Avast. (With a bit of common sense applied)

woodchip 23:24 15 Sep 08

I have Avast on four Computer all running XP Home

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…