Which is best AMD or Pentium???

HARPP 14:31 18 Jun 03

Hi
I'm in the process of upgrading my PC, what is the best processor to fit??? AMD, CELERON or Pentium?? I was looking at the AMD XP2600+ is this a good processor for the price or should i be looking at somthing else??

Cheers
HARPP

NinkyRudes 15:46 18 Jun 03

AMD is the clear choice if you're on a budget, as newer Pentium 4 chips are hideously overpriced. However, you do not specify what you mainly use your PC for, and this may be a serious factor in deciding between AMD or Intel.

woodchip 15:50 18 Jun 03

And you will need at least a new Motherboard.

NinkyRudes 15:55 18 Jun 03

I happen to use an XP2600+ with 512Mb ram and 128Mb Radeon 9700 Pro, and the whole package works extremely well, be I playing games, encoding video or using general productivity software.
I also happen to have access to a Pentium 4 3.06Ghz (my sister's), with the same amount of ram and video card, and whilst the performance is slightly better, it comes at a massively inflated price - she paid £350 more for her machine at the same time.
My advice? Go for the AMD processor, keep your graphics and ram up to speed and you'll have a good PC for many months before the next upgrade.

HARPP 16:38 18 Jun 03

Hi
Thanks for all your replys, I'm looking at buying a new motherboard, CPU & Graphics card and trying to get the BEST VALUE FOR MONEY. I mainly use the computer for doing my accounts, Music sequencing & messing about surfin the web so i dont think i really need a MEGA upgrade, i have spoken to a few people they have recommended this CPU but i think i just needed reassuring which is best one to buy? also i'm still a little bit undecided which motherboard to choose...i'm seriously considering the GIGABYTE GA-7VAXP & ASUS A7V8X which would you consider to be the best out of the two??? or can you recommend any others?? (Sub £100.00)

Thanks for all your help

HARPP

DieSse 17:14 18 Jun 03

If you want a simple to set up, no hassle build - get a P4 at 2.4 or 2.5GHz. Both roughly equivalent to an Athlon 2600XP.

You only have to read the threads on here about how I built my XP system and it doesn't run at the right speed, or it won't use this or that RAM, or it has to be slowed down to install Windows.

With P4 you fit it and it works - no special setups required. Get the "boxed" version with the excellent intel supplied fan.

kane_2002k 17:15 18 Jun 03

hi my two cents
If you are looking for a more cost effective solution then go with AMD, find that as a platform it is more easily upgradable (i.e. if you were to buy a 2000xp should be ok to move up to 2700xp with minimal hassle, usually just require a bios flash), also motherboards are cheaper. Downside to athlon is that it runs hotter, (and personnlly i really hate the method of attaching the heatsink and fan). Also it is soon to be made redunant for the new 64bit AMD processors, hence prices may fall steeply after you buy.

With a pentium4 positive points are that if you are looking at buying one of the top spec processors (i.e. one of the new 800fsb pentiums) you will find that it soundly outperforms the AMD cpu's. AMD Athlon XP has lost further ground; its current flagship model, the XP 3200+, can only manage a performance somewhere in between those of the 2.6-GHz and 2.8-GHz Pentium 4(800fsb and hyperthreading). However you will be looking at paying more for the motherboard and the processor.

Also depends on what you are planning to use your pc for, tend to find that for MP3 encoding and decoding and other AV rendering and encoding that the pentiums will outperform AMD, while with games the performance is more equal depending on what games you are looking at.

In conclusion i would say that if money is no object, right now you can't do any better then a pentium 4 with 800fsb and hyperthreading. Otherwise an athlon is good too, but really we need the new 64bit AMD's soon for there to be a real competitor to pentiums top of the line processors in terms of performance.

D-P-R 17:23 18 Jun 03

also there is no thermal protection with the athlon chips like there is with Intel's, although I am running a athlon XP 2000+ because of the price. I have not had any problems with compatibility of any sort with it

DieSse 17:43 18 Jun 03

If you want "budget" you should consider the Celeron 2.3GHz version. You can use the same motherboard (as long as you choose a suitable motherboard)right up to a 3GHz P4 if you want to upgrade later.

beastieboy 18:00 18 Jun 03

Go to Tom's hardware site and he'll give you a run down. He basically says that AMDs in fact can perform much better than their Intel counterparts but on the whole are ever so slightly less reliable. I am running on an Athlon XP chip and I have no problems.

Cost was the biggest factor though because for the same price I could have got a pentium at a couple of hundred Mhz lower

Janusz

beastieboy 18:01 18 Jun 03

I'd go with Asus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…