WHICH ARE BEST- MEMORY STICKS OR DISC’S ?

gel 14:45 07 Oct 06

Hello
Would some one kindly comment- which are preferable Memory Sticks or Disc’s for storage
I use my computer only for Documents and digital photos.
USB sticks seem very easy to use and I can easily plug them into either my desktop or my laptop.
Are there any disadvantages?
Many thanks
Gel

Diodorus Siculus 14:48 07 Oct 06

Depends on if you want long term storage - memory sticks get a little expensive. Blank CDs are about 10p each...

def90csw 14:50 07 Oct 06

Bought recently a 512MB Kingston Data Traveler @ £11.74 for from click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:53 07 Oct 06

How much storage do you need?

If alot, then an external drive may be worth while.

gel 14:57 07 Oct 06

Hello
Thanks -a further query which alternative will give me problems (if any) with ,long term storage'
I do not need a great deal of storage but I do sometimes have problems with disc's but never with memory sticks
gel

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 07 Oct 06

Any media can be prone to loss of data or just plain become old technology (what has happened to tape drives Zip disks and floppy disks).

Always a good idea to back up to at least two kinds of media if keeping data for some time.

You can even use "online storage" there is even a method of using gmail to store data.

dogbreath1 15:07 07 Oct 06

I wouldn't rely wholly on memory sticks. If the stick fails (and I've had two go pear shaped on me), all is lost. CD/DVD/BlueRay is undoubtedly the safest option. The disc problems you referred to will never be insurmountable.

gel 15:11 07 Oct 06

All your comments are very useful to me and I am grateful.
Many thanks
gel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now