Which Antivirus ?

SB23 14:57 03 Dec 05

I know that this subject has been done alot before,but I am at a complete loss as to what to do.I have just had an email to say that my current security suite's subs finish in 45 days time,and that after that date I will no longer have any protection.All said and done,I have decided that I am not paying anymore for protection,as I know that there are some very good free programs,and that these are not such a huge drain on my system,but I really do not know which one to go for.I would also need a anti spam program as the one that came bundled with my current protection never worked with Aol.If anyone has any other ideas about protection,feel free to tell....SB23

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:10 03 Dec 05

Anti Virus :-
Antivir click here
Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

Firewalls :-
Filesclab click here
Jetico click here
Kerio4 click here
Netveda click here
Nrt firewall 2.0.1 click here
Outpost free click here
R-firewall click here
Securepoint click here
Softperfect click here
Sygate click here
Wyvernworks click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here
CleanUp! click here
Empty temp folders click here
4DISKCLEAN click here

REmeber only 1 fireall, 1 antivirus and as much antispy as you wish.

Recommend a good combition :

Antivirus.....Avast or AVG

Firewall......Zone Alarm or Sygate

Antispyware....Msantispy + syware blaster + Adaware

SB23 15:19 03 Dec 05

I assume that your combination serves you well?
I use Aol,do they work with this Isp,coz some antispams don't for reasons I don't understand.

rdave13 17:57 03 Dec 05

I'd go for Avast4 antivirus.Mcafee firewall: all anti spyware(free versions)and the listed tenp file cleaners.

Been well served for 18 month by these programs.

rdave13 18:00 03 Dec 05

"tenp" read temp. I also use AOL.

bretsky 18:17 03 Dec 05

SB23 19:08 03 Dec 05

Someone else recommended Avast to me,and I've just remembered that I can get a free Mcafee firewall from aol.I have used it in the past,just want the basics,but at the same time want my pc protected aswell.....but with no money changing hands.

rdave13 19:34 03 Dec 05

Forgot Mcafee was free with AOL,but works well in the background.

Just remember that with Avast you'll need to re-register after a year.

No need for "money changing hands".

rdave13 19:35 03 Dec 05

Excellent list!

SB23 20:24 03 Dec 05

Yeah,I forgot to mention the list,thanks very much,you've given me plenty to look at,and anyone else for that matter,cheers.

SB23 13:54 06 Dec 05

Have gone for ZA for a firewall,but going back to an antivirus,and the original post,do I need realtime scanning with an antivirus or not,the reason that I ask,is that some of the free ones don't have that feature (or at least don't mention it),is it really important?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…