Which Antivirus?

I,Me and Myself 12:15 05 Jul 05

Can anyone help a lady? We have two PC's. One broadband connection (Virgin) which is usually only used with the same PC but sometimes is plugged into our other one. We have Windows XP and use Office XP Professional. Can't think of any other information I should give. Anyway, I would like to know what I should be running on those two PC's to keep them safe. At present, the one with the broadband is on a free trial of ETrust antivirus which ends tomorrow, Spybot and Windows firewall. The other PC has Panda Antivirus (which ends at end of July) and Windows firewall. We do some uploading, downloading, music, games, general family usage.
Any advice would be grateful.

woodchip 12:18 05 Jul 05

AVAST free I use it on Laptop and Desktop click here

Completealias 12:42 05 Jul 05

Use avast here also which i like very much the other free choice is AVG click here

I would also recommend downloading zonealarm which is a firewall, windows firewall although better than nothing only protects against incoming so if you've got an app on your pc thats calling home that you don't want to you can't stop it you can find that click here

Also what apps are you using to protect against spyware?

I,Me and Myself 12:57 05 Jul 05

Not really sure if anything is being used to protect spyware. How would I know?? Sorry, but I'm hopless at this kind of stuff!

VoG II 13:00 05 Jul 05

Use AntiSpyware click here which should be all you need in terms of anti-spyware.

If you want more anti-spyware protection Ad-aware click here and SpywareBlaster click here

mbp 13:06 05 Jul 05

ETrust is very good. I also used it for a year FOC and liked it but when the period ran out, I installed Avast Free, plus ZA free firewall. It's free, auto-update, reliable, and so trouble and worry free.

For spyware, I use Microsoft Antispyware beta as it is tops in conjunction with CW Shredder free stand alone. But I also retain Adaware and Spybot. For BHO's I use BHODemon.

I,Me and Myself 13:15 05 Jul 05

Right, I am getting way too confused now! I have just downloaded AVAST antivirus - do I need to install it now or wait until my ETrust expires?
I already have Spybot installed and am now going to get free firewall - do I uncheck the box for the Windows XP firewall once I have downloaded and installed it?
What else should I have?? Could you make things a bit easier to understand please!!!

VoG II 13:22 05 Jul 05

Disconnect from the internet.

Uninstall ETrust.

Install Avast.

Once you have installed the firewall, disable the Windows one.

Stuartli 13:28 05 Jul 05

Avast also updates itself which is a boon...:-)

By the way I used to sit on a committee with someone whose favourite opening remark was: "I myself, me personally, think that..."

Stuartli 13:29 05 Jul 05

Don't forget to register Avast (it's free) to extend its use for a considerably longer period. You can then re-register to maintain its use (probably be a new version by then in any case).

I,Me and Myself 14:01 05 Jul 05

I have to say thatnks to all of you who have helped me today.
I have now installed Spybot, AVAST antivirus, ZoneAlarm Firewall, Microsoft Spyware (beta) and Ad-aware. Will that now do?
(TheI,Me & Myself by the way is a line from a song by a fave band of mine).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…