Which antispyware?

cowgirl66 09:28 05 Nov 06

Now I know this question poses many answers, but I have used so many antispywares over the years and now I'm back to square 1. Every month it seems new antispyware is on the market but do they perform any better than the oldies we have used so often?

At the present I'm not using much antispyware at all. Only Norton Security Centre and AdAware (latest version.) Norton Security Centre is very good but does it scan for spyware? I don't think so.

What I would like to know is, given the way in which each of these applications work and what sort of spyware they search for, what other spyware/adware applications would be best for me now?

Regards cowgirl66

birdface 09:31 05 Nov 06

Ewido, A Aquared,Or Windows Defender, All Free.

Chris-347369 09:31 05 Nov 06

I personally use:
Sbybot S&D: click here
AdAware like yourself
and Windows Defender: click here

They always pick up different things so it's useful to have a few

€dstowe 09:39 05 Nov 06

I've been disappointed with Windows Defender.

After being given the "all clear" by WD, other programs often pick up something or other, usually tracking cookies which, apparently, Mr Gates doesn't class as being undesirable.

Sorry but, I don't want them on my machines and if you don't either, keep other scanners as well.

cowgirl66 09:43 05 Nov 06

How about this new free version of AVG 7.5 antispyware. Any good review of this compared to the paid-for version? I'm tryiing to stick to the free ones, you see. I used to like the Ewido free version but it was SO SLOW it made my computer so sluggish.

VoG II 09:47 05 Nov 06
  cowgirl66 09:49 05 Nov 06

and the Super Anti Spyware? Yes? No?

VoG II 09:55 05 Nov 06

Yes.

cowgirl66 10:00 05 Nov 06

Thanks, everybody. I've read all your advice and and will go with the Ewido/Avg and either Spybot or A-squared.

Vog, it was a good job you mentioned the bit about not having real-time protection. That would never have occured to me.

Regards cowgirl66

RobCharles1981 15:41 05 Nov 06

At the moment I'm using:

AVG Free (Antivirus)
Zone Alarm Pro

Spybot, Adaware, AVG Antispyware, A-Squared and Windows Defender.

Ive been reading the link I think skidzy posted in a thread today I beleive click here

Since I updated to the final release of Windows Defender it hasnt picked up on Realtime protection for me, from the link the guy likes Spyware Terminator.

Any Suggestions?

Chris-347369 16:08 05 Nov 06

A good Hosts file can work wonders too

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac