Which Anti Virus System to use?

BCS 15:59 24 May 05

I know this is an old topic but I am a new user. I have been spoilt for last few years and worked with a company’s system and now have had to buy my own computer. So any ideas as to which antiviral system to use? Norton seems to be PC hungry and slows everything down but it is good. MacFee is an unknown to me now as is any other provider. I am looking for a Anti spam/pop up/virus checker package. So any suggestions or comments gratefully received.
BCS

woodchip 16:06 24 May 05

I use Avast Free version on a ne XP laptop and New XP Desktop click here

Joe R 16:07 24 May 05

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
These are all free, and do the job as well as, any bought software. The last link will also show you some more ideas.

roisin dubh 16:07 24 May 05

IMHO wouldn't hesitate to recommend avg as anti virus, have used free version for a long time. It doesn't snaffle all your resources and doesn't bury itself deep into your computer like elements of norton tend to. click here is homepage. Also use adaware another free program for spyware detection/removal, again free but can't remember homepage, googling should work tho'

961 16:26 24 May 05

Don't buy a package. Each of these companies is good at one or two things. No-one is good at them all.

Try these. Most are free to the home user. The links will be spread around here but otherwise type the name into google

Anti virus...Avast (use only one)

Anti spyware....Microsoft Antispyware, PLUS spywareblaster PLUS Spybot search and destroy

Anti trojan...A squared FREE (not personal) edition

Firewall...Zone Alarm

2 others (free) worth having...CC Cleaner and Reg Seeker

DieSse 18:21 24 May 05

The very best - NOD32 click here AV + Anti Syware + Anti Trojan.

And it's also the most economical with system resources, and the fastest scanner.

Free it ain't - but a free 30 day trial, and an annual fee thereafter.

The Spires 18:46 24 May 05

If you try NOD32 as in the post by DieSse above you will keep it, I was quite happy to hand over my renewal fee last week.

Buchan 35 21:01 24 May 05

I`ve just had a look at Nod 32 and I`m impressed.
Whatever you do use only 1 AntiVirus programme in case of conflict, and I`d suggest going along with
JoeR. You may have as many or as few anti spyware as you like as they all seem to do different jobs. Hopefully one of my betters will come aboard and explain. Also, you need a good firewall. You`ll find plenty of references in the archives. Lastly, just in case, when you download any of the suggested ideas check for upgrades.All the best mate

BCS 14:39 06 Jun 05

Now all I have to do is get one :-)
Cheers Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…