which adsl modem cable

kiz 14:21 03 Jan 07

I am installing adsl broadband for the first time and my telephone socket is almost 20 metres away from my computer. I therefore need a longer RJ11 cable than that supplied but I am confused as to the type of cable I need. On the internet I can see 2 core & 4 core & twisted cable but which one should I buy and will it make a difference to the internet speed?
The modem is a thomson speedtouch 330 by the way.
thanks in advance

fitshase 22:29 04 Jan 07

I have an ADSL connection which is in the next room. I just bought a standard telephone extension cable, plugged that into the phone socket on the wall. Then, I plugged the ADSL filter into the other end of the extension cable and plugged the ADSL cable into that.

Works fine for me with no problems at all.

oldbeefer2 10:56 05 Jan 07

Bea careful with long telephone extension leads with ADSL - they caun cause slow speeds and disconnections. Better to plug modem directly into BT master socket and run an RJ 45 cable from the modem to the computer's ethernet socket. I made up a 30metre extension with cable, plugs and a crimping tool which cost a tenner total on line. You can also buy ready made leads, but they can be more expensive,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos