which of 2 routers do I need?

sunny staines 13:39 14 Aug 06

I have one desktop pc & one centrino laptop. at present using adsl usb modem [not cable].

Iwould like to set up wireless broadband sharing between the two. The pc being downstairs the laptop being used upstairs.

Maplins have a Linesky WAG354G [£70]& Curries a Linsky WAG 54GS [£85]

Is it a case of plugging the router to the pc via the pc lan socket & the laptop detecting the signal by wirless from the router? neither store had staff that could explain what was involved.

dms05 14:14 14 Aug 06

You are correct. The ADSL Modem Router is the first piece of equipment and it connects to you Broadband. You then connect your computers to the Router, either by LAN cable of WiFi. Your desktop, if connected by LAN, should be used to initially set up the WiFi connection, after that the laptop will be quite independent.

FelixTCat 14:32 14 Aug 06

sunny staines,

You can do better than tha on price. here are a few examples:

click here

click here

click here

Regards,

Felix

sunny staines 15:43 14 Aug 06

thanks for the reply.

I was opting for linesky as people say they are easier to configure.but not sure which of the two routers to go for as i know nothing about routers etc.

ade.h 15:53 14 Aug 06

Who said that? Linksys routers are among my favourites, but the ADSL models have a lot of settings to choice from which can confuse the unwary. 3Coms are easier (a good one in Felix's links); Belkins are easier as well. By all means go for the Linksys if you like the look of it. In this price range, it is a superb product.

sunny staines 16:12 14 Aug 06

thanks for the reply. are the instructions on the linesky easy to follow?
andwhich of the two models is better? the signal will need to cover all of the house, we have bulldog broadband via a phone line using usb modem.

ade.h 16:38 14 Aug 06

I have always opted for the 354G rather than the boosted equivalent. click here In the current transitory market, I would not bother with Pre-n stuff except where MIMO is useful. Linksys instructions are only middling; they are quite detailed, which is good, but I am aware that some newbies can get confused by all the different sections. The config UI layout is one of the best considering the amount of settings that it crams in.

sunny staines 16:53 14 Aug 06

does the 354g include mimo?

ade.h 17:05 14 Aug 06

No; it's a standard 802.11g router. If MIMO is required, I would suggest this click here. That is if you think that MIMO would be necessary.

sunny staines 19:09 14 Aug 06

i thinking now of your 354g hopping it will send signals to all cornors of the hous and upstairs as the wife wants to wathch live streaming shopping over the net via the laptop in bed.

does this one have a good chace of that?

thanks for you your help so far.

ade.h 19:52 14 Aug 06

Hmmm... Wifi can't work miracles, at least not yet. I have had great results from 802.11g routers (mine works at maximum handshake-speed through most of my solid-walled house) but there are no guarantees. If you can test one, that's great. If you have doubts, be prepared for the cost of MIMO (including proprietary adapters) or be patient and wait for the Wifi Alliance to ratify 802.11n at the end of the year (or thereabouts). Some Draft 11n stuff is available now, but that's jumping the standards gun.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…