Which 17" or 19" LCD monitor???

farnz 21:07 31 Oct 05

I am looking to upgrade from my 17" crt monitor to a 17" or 19" LCD monitor, but which one???

My usage is web surfing, office applications, and photography/photo manipulation with photoshop 7. I use 1024 x 768 as my default resolution at present.

I dont do gaming, and dont need built in speakers, but would like the best quality screen/picture for my budget, which is up to about £220

So 17" or 19"?

I fancy a 19" as I like the idea of a big screen, but reading the other threads it appears they are grainier unless used at a higher resolution, which means smaller text, buttons etc, which I think I may not be able to cope with without eyestrain.

So which is best for me?
I fancy the IIlyama Prolite E431S
and also the LG Flatron L1720B,
Both are 17" (19" recommendations please??)
but are there better ones out there?

My graphics card is an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro, which I do not plan on replacing.
The function of picture in picture (for watching tv while using computer) might be a useful feature for the future, but not essential.

I have read that the 'hard' screens are better as they allow for easy cleaning as well.

I look forward to all recommendations!!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:21 31 Oct 05

I have a viewsonic 19" and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. Go for 19 rather than 17", the difference is massive.

G

farnz 21:40 31 Oct 05

Gandalf,
Can you supply a model number please?

Press Man 22:27 31 Oct 05

I agree with GANDALF, I have just received a Viewsonic 19" VX924 today. Setup was just "plug it in", "turn it on", load the software, register and off you go. The picture quality and colour is excelent. Recommend it.

Methedrine 23:03 31 Oct 05

Which ever one you get I would recommend downloading Clear Type from Microsoft's website. I use it. It's very good.

alan227 23:17 31 Oct 05

I have the LG L1720B and it runs at a native resolution of 1280 x 1024.
As was suggested I use Clear type and it makes such a difference.

"I fancy a 19" as I like the idea of a big screen, but reading the other threads it appears they are grainier unless used at a higher resolution, which means smaller text, buttons etc, which I think I may not be able to cope with without eyestrain."

Both 17" and 19" monitors have native resolutions of 1280 x 1024 therefore a 19" will give the same screen space as a 17" but everything will be larger therefore I recommend you go for that size.

Take a look click here and click here. The customer reviews are often very helpful.

Dave

right click desktop, properties, appearance, effects.

I agree, it makes a massive difference, especially on TFT monitors

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:27 31 Oct 05

Model is a VX924

G

Djohn 23:59 31 Oct 05

I bought the Viewsonic VP930 19" TFT 2 weeks back, and though it is an expensive monitor, its absolutely superb. Stunning, vibrant colours. Viewing angles are almost as good as a CRT and it has a response time of 8ms.

If your doing photo editing, then look for an 8 bit panel rather than 6 bit, former only does 16.2 million colours and the latter does 16.7 million colours, important when working with high quality images..

Viewsonic are one of the few suppliers that will exchange for 1 dead pixel, most others range from 5 to 7 before they will change.

freaky 09:20 01 Nov 05

Bought an Iiyama 19" ProLite E481S a few months ago with a response time of 8MS, the picture quality is excellent. This runs at a native resolution of 1280 x 1024.

Have not seen the Viewsonic 19", but understand it is very good - more expensive than the Iiyama though.

The advantage with a 19" is that you can use larger icons without the screen appearing cluttered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…