Whether to butcher a £300 Graphics card?

StainlessStan 19:55 11 Nov 05

OK. call me stupid, but I've gone and bought a 7800gtx nvidia graphics card and it won't fit!!
The bottom corner fouls the hdd connector by 10mm. My question is - what do I do?
1. Attempt to cut the corner of the card so it doesn't foul? (gulp)
2. Sell the card and get a 7800gt (which is shorter)and probably lose money?
3. Buy a new Motherboard? If so which one?
4. Commit Hari-Kari?

TOPCAT® 20:12 11 Nov 05

That will surely kill it permanently. Try and sell it even if you take a small loss and fit a GT. There are other things to consider before you do anything but we need more info on your computer. The current motherboard, for instance, may not be good enough to run such high spec cards so, until we know what you have, the answer may well be a new board.

There's even more to take into consideration and that is the physical size of a new motherboard. I have an Asus A8N-E, which is a high spec board able to run the GTX card perfectly, but it would not fit into my case. Had to have a new case capable of taking it, so take note of these things before deciding. TC.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:13 11 Nov 05

Of your four options the new motherboard is probably the cheapest one. However, why not contact the retailer and explain your problem, perhaps you can get it exchanged.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:17 11 Nov 05

The most important advice of all.

You will cut through circuitry within the board, it WILL be terminal.

StainlessStan 20:29 11 Nov 05

My motherboard is an A8NE-FM which I understand is a smaller version of the A8N-E. I was considering the A8N-SLI deluxe or the A8N-E.
I don't want to abandon the gtx if I can help it.

Megatyte 20:33 11 Nov 05

Can't you just move your HDD to another bay?

AH

Megatyte 20:37 11 Nov 05

Duh!! I've just re-read your post. BOTTOM corner.

TOPCAT® 20:55 11 Nov 05

click here

You will see it is the Micro ATX form factor and is 9.6 x 9.6 inches square. The Asus A8N-E board is around 12 inches, so the question now is WILL IT FIT in your case. I rather doubt it but I may be wrong on this. Having got the A8N-E myself and running the 7800 GTX card with a AMD64 4800+ X2 CPU, I have to say the performance is stunning, helped by two striped 300GB HDDs and 1GB of DDR400 memory. Decided against SLI in the end because two cards were way above what I could afford. I think you will be satisfied with just the one GTX. TC.

007al 21:00 11 Nov 05

go for the abit ultra,or sli.they allow for loads of options if you wanna play around a bit later.fatal1ty versions would be better

TOPCAT® 21:08 11 Nov 05
  StainlessStan 22:24 11 Nov 05

Do you know the size of those two boards.

Having measured up, it looks like the A8N-E will fit. Thanks for the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…