Where's my Start button icon gone?

Chelonian 15:20 09 May 05

I have a 1997 spec PC running Windows 98. It has a Tiscali dial-up internet connection and a Netscape browser. I tried to create a new Hotmail account from their website and all went well until a dialog box informed me that I would have to download MS software to access Hotmail. I tried to do this but the PC just froze. On re-starting the PC it appeared to have booted but all the icons and the Start button have disappeared from my screen.

My questions are:

1. How do I get my Start button and shortcut icons back?

2. Is this a common Netscape browser problem and would I be better off with something else?

I have access to a MS Windows ME disk. I don't know if it would help if I 'upgraded' to it from the existing Windows 98.

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated as I'm very much a novice. I know that my PC is old but it works okay most of the time! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mattyc_92 15:24 09 May 05

I don't think that you need to download anything to use Hotmail (yes you have to if you want to add an "attachment", but not view/create a hotmail account)

have a look at this click here

Read the posts made by me and gudgulf at "Mon, 09.05.05 | 12:02" and "Mon, 09.05.05 | 12:06" for info on how to restore your system back to it's previous state...

Diemmess 16:07 09 May 05

Try a right click anywhere on a blank part of the taskbar...... choose Properties and a click on that should show Taskbar and Menu properties.

Tick the box which says "Always on Top"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 09 May 05

Where did my icons go
click here

Taskbar missing
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now