Where's my sound gone?

Big Ben 09:39 27 Feb 03

Am running XP, and my sound seems to have died on me, with no visable conflicts. Any ideas? Sorry for being vague, but just let me know what information you need or how it can fix itself. Its a Pentium IV microstar pc from pcworld.

Thanks!

powerless 09:49 27 Feb 03

Sounds simple but the speaker connections are firmly pushed in?

Volume up to max?

Click the speaker icon in the system tray (bottom right). If that is not therem then...

Start > Control panel > > Under "Device Volume" > Make sure "mute" is not ticked.

Then click the first "Advanced" > Make sure nothing is muted there...

Then with that window click "Advanced" > Make sure "1 Digital output only" is ticked or not ticked depending upon your speakers.

Now go back to "Sound and audio devices" > Click the Second "Advance" Choose the speaker setup.

powerless 09:54 27 Feb 03

When you are in the control panel click Sound and audio devices...

Then just check the above^

Bailey08787 13:33 27 Feb 03

check your onboard sound isn't disabled in the bios (if your sound comes from your motherboard that is)

check your wires are firmly plugged in at both ends.

check you have the wires going into the right holes at the back of the pc

Stuartli 14:02 27 Feb 03

Have you also checked programs such as Windows Media Player which also have the facility to mute the sound? It might have been enabled in error.

Also if your sound card software provides utilities such as a mixer, CD player etc the above may also apply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…