wheres my sound gone?

sleepy01 15:26 08 Jan 09

Hi,
ive just realised my PC has no sound, ive had my speakers off for a few weeks and now when i try to play music or anything there is nothing but silence.
Ive vhecked all connections and seems fine, same problem wih headphones.
A few weeks back i had o exchange my graphics card, an ATI 3870 and its possible ive lost sound since reinstalling drivers for this.
Help much appreciated, im using a Asus P5N D Mobo and have always used the realtek sound from that. Im sure its a case of changing settings somewhere, but where?
Hope someone can help :)

sleepy01 13:46 09 Jan 09

Aanyone, help much appreciated?.

I had a similar problem maybe 18 months ago, but as im not too pc savvy i cant remember how to try. Ive disabled the ATI sound driver in device manager but after restart still nothing :(.

MAT ALAN 13:49 09 Jan 09

There should be a volume icon in your taskbar open that and see if "mute all2 is ticked for some reason..

sleepy01 18:28 09 Jan 09

hi Mat, no that was first thing i checked, girlfriend sometimes mutes sound :(

birdface 18:42 09 Jan 09

Easy ones first.Check that the speakers are plugged in and the slider open.Make sure that they are not switched of on the keyboard.Maybe go into device manager and roll back the driver.

birdface 18:45 09 Jan 09

You could try this.Driver max.click here Maybe give it a try it has helped others.Or go into Messenger.And try the audio video set up.

sleepy01 21:15 09 Jan 09

Thx buteman. With drivermax it wants me to create an account before i can use.
Is this free software?

Thx

birdface 21:31 09 Jan 09

Yes make sure you are downloading the free version and nothing else.

rdave13 21:48 09 Jan 09

Could also try, start-- run-- type 'services.msc' and click ok. Scroll down to Windows Audio and double click. Select startup type to automatic and click apply. Click ok.

sleepy01 23:49 09 Jan 09

Hi guys, thx for replies. Ive tried all thats been mentioned but nothing has worked, drivers seem to be updated, automatic is already set. :(

ronalddonald 23:55 09 Jan 09

about the sound drivers, is there a disc where you can reinstall it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5