Wheres my memory going?

jake2 19:44 06 Nov 05

My hard drive is nearly full so I will need to add another. Before I do that I was trying to work out how I managed to use 41.7gb of memory!!
The drive is 60gb with 55.8 useable. I assume the 4.2 difference will be for xp?
I have looked in "my documents" and found 7.04gb music, 1.30gb videos, 1.02gb pictures. That accounts for 9.36gb so how do I find out where the rest of it 32.2gb went? (without looking at every program in the computer)
Could there be things taking up space that I am not aware of? I hear about registry files could that be part of it?

bremner 19:48 06 Nov 05

The differnce between 60GB and 55.8GB is because manufacturers quote 1000MB per GB when it is actually 1024MB - so nothing to do with Windows.

Have you looked at the entire drive in Explorer - particularly look at the Windows and Program Files folders to see their size.

jake2 20:30 06 Nov 05

bremner: Thanks for your response. Can you advise me how to do that please?

bremner 20:31 06 Nov 05

Right click on 'Start' and choose Explore

woodchip 20:35 06 Nov 05

You cannot get more than what the drive is 55.8 useable true Gb's

VoG II 20:37 06 Nov 05

If you install click here you can get Windows Explorer to display the size of each folder.

jake2 17:35 20 May 06

I found the answer to where my memory was going!
Evertime I ran Regisrty cleaner (and I think spybot) it created a restore point which was runnng away with huge amounts of memory!
Turmed off the restore point option lowered the memory allocated to restore points and evrythings sorted!
Thanks for all your heilp.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…