Where's my memory?

ivesy 17:01 26 Jan 07

I've just installed 2x 256MB PC3200 DDR 400 memory "modules"on the 2 free slots on my parents PC. These are the same spec. as the 2 modules on the PC.

According to both Belarc Advisor and Crucials program which checks the system there isn't any installed!

When I check General in system properties it says 896MB of RAM. Even then I was expecting it to say 1GB.

The Crucial program said it couldn't determine the Make or Model of the PC (which is a Mesh Cleron 2.6). Though it did say the Motherboard was an ASUS P4R800-VM.

Should I be concerned here?

Totally-braindead 17:09 26 Jan 07

Have you tried the Crucial scan my computer and if so does it see the memory?
Regarding the missing memory do you onboard graphics by any chance as that would account for it.

ivesy 17:15 26 Jan 07

I've tried that and it doesn't show anything. Good point about the graphics card as I've discovered it uses 128mb of the systems RAM.

Totally-braindead 17:20 26 Jan 07

Its a common thing overlooked.

I'm not sure whether you should be concerned or not. From what you say windows is recognising it ok its just the external programs that don't.

See if SIW recognises it as perhaps its just a bug with the programs click here

Totally-braindead 17:28 26 Jan 07

I've been reading the FAQs click here and there appears to be some memory peculiarities. I notice from some of the FAQs that this board supports dual channel memory but it also says something in another FAQ that depending on the BIOS version, dual channel memory will not appear as an option.
It also appears there is a problem with single sided chips.

ivesy 17:38 26 Jan 07

Thanks for that. I'm happy that atleast Windows recognising the extra memory anyway! thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…