where's my back up in xp home?

mec13 19:32 08 May 05

As you all know 'back up' isnt on the desktop of xp home,(WHY!) and you knowledgable people have explained to many how to find it on the xp cd. My time computer came with 'xp' preloaded, with just a very expensive 'reload cd' (£60)and that was it. I.ve seen it where you're told to search by typing in 'ntbackup etc, etc' pionting to the xp cd. But! how do you find this back up programne when I havn't got a xp cd, it's supposingly hidden on my 'Hard drive' somewhere? Does my lack of computer knowledge show, oh well.

Klof Ron 19:38 08 May 05

Do a search on your CD for the path VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP, thats where it resides on the Win XP Home CD, you may have the same on your restore CD.

GroupFC 19:43 08 May 05

You can get it from here click here
(this link will take you straight to the download page).

mec13 20:21 08 May 05

Wow! that didn't take long for a responce, thanks people, I did that 'valueadd etc thing' before but something about 'wrong path'couldn't locate it, I'll give that download a go, see what happens. Thanks anyway.

anniel 21:01 08 May 05

but now I have the download sitting in my "Downloads" in Firefox.

What do I do next...make a new folder? Or isn't that necessary. Also where should it be kept on my PC.

I just wish there were simple lessons in Windows for non techies like me.

anniel 21:04 08 May 05

but now I have the download sitting in my "Downloads" in Firefox.

What do I do next...make a new folder? Or isn't that necessary. Also where should it be kept on my PC.

I just wish there were simple lessons in Windows for non techies like me.

mec13 21:36 08 May 05

I presume your talking about the 'back up ' download anniel. I just clicked on 'save' which
GroupFC sent me. Click Programns, accessories, into system tools, there it was 'backup'. Of course I'm in IE, but I'm sure someone will put you on the right road with firefox, come on you 'Techies' ( quote) help the poor fellow out, I dont mind!

GroupFC 22:28 08 May 05

Unless you have configured firefox to download files to somewhere else, it's default location is your desktop (have a look at this click here).

You should therefore have on your desktop something labelled "ntbackup.msi". If you double click on this it will instal the backup app. (It sounds as if mec13 ran the installer through IE, which would put the program exactly where he said!).

mec13 18:04 09 May 05

GroupFC, thanks for putting that link in your responce to anniels problem (malektips), once again expert advice given to us lesser 'techie' mortals. Where you find these informative sites, plus your problem solving guidance keeps me coming back here always. Well Done!

GroupFC 21:23 09 May 05

I am by no means an expert!

Just about I everything I have learnt has come from lurking on these pages on a daily basis, so if you hang around you'll soon be posting a reply to help others.

As to "Where you find these informative sites" - Google is your friend!

mec13 18:41 10 May 05

I also visit this site on a daily basis, but I know my limitations. Experts you might not be, but you and many others on this site offer a lifeline to sanity when our dreaded over-complicated machines misbehave. Google is a huge beast to me, knowing where to look, and what to ask is an art. Far easier is to come here, search for others with simular problems and read on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac