Where will it be?

Chegs ® 17:22 08 Aug 04

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra motherboard's temperature sensor for the "System" readout?

I'm interested to know as my CPU temperature on an AMD XP2700 is 41°C and rarely changes(even in this heat)yet the "System" reading is 52°C.

I have added extra fans to aid the system cooling as I have 2xSATA hdd's and these run quite hot(I have singed my fingers on them before)and added another fan to aid the graphics cards fans,my PSU has dual fans,but even with the case sides off and a room fan blowing across the mobo,the system temperature reading is higher than the CPU.

The reasoning behind this question is I might have mounted the SATA hdd's over this sensor,and with two "hot bricks" near,its causing this high reading(I know its warm outside,but only 24°C)

woodchip 17:29 08 Aug 04

You could be right I would not bother about system as you know CPU is the main man

Chegs ® 17:36 08 Aug 04

I'm aware the CPU is important,but disagree if I shouldn't concern myself about the system.My PSU case (at the very top of PC case) could be used to simmer eggs. :-)

Last time I had anything this hot,the PC would crash unexpectedly and my system has been quite unstable of late.

woodchip 17:45 08 Aug 04

I have never had that problem and never had more than a CPU and PSU fan. I checked in System health on this Win98 comp and CPU was 45c and Sys 35c with the side of as it is a warm room with Hot water cylinder and boiler in this room.

CurlyWhirly 18:14 08 Aug 04

Chegs

With all the extra fans installed in your PC case it must be quite noisy!
CW

Chegs ® 18:18 08 Aug 04

Thats why nearly every screenshot I link to has WinAmp on the taskbar. :-)

TOPCAT® 18:42 08 Aug 04

Have a look at this board review. The system monitoring chip is located as stated below. TC.

Quote:

"To the immediate left of the AGP slot, we come across the ITE IT8705F system monitoring chip. This is the chip that is responsible for monitoring critical system temperatures, voltages, and is also responsible for several other processes such as these. This area also houses the large majority of the audio components....."

click here

woodchip 19:10 08 Aug 04

Could it be that your system box is not big enough for the Hardware plus space? and plenty of it. I would go for a full tower

woodchip 19:11 08 Aug 04

Could it be that your system box is not big enough for the Hardware plus space? and plenty of it. I would go for a full tower.

PS and use round cables for drives.

Chegs ® 19:30 08 Aug 04

click here

I'll let you decide. :-)

As can be seen,I already have round IDE,and the red leads are the SATA cables.I bought this case with its physical size foremost,it is wider/higher/taller than its predeccessor (but only by an inch or so) It also has a large area available for fans.

Chegs ® 19:34 08 Aug 04

Thanks for the info,but unfortunately thats only the monitoring chip,not the thermistor that reads the temperature.I expected to locate a similar device to the (sometimes)green or blue lump of silicon underneath the CPU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…