Where is SMART data ???

Boluwd 20:54 15 Oct 08

I have 3 HDD in my PC. A 120Gb Maxtor 6Y120PO as master on primary ide, and two Hitachi 250Gb SATA SCSI on Silicon Image SiL3112 Sata/RAID controller.
All are seen in my BIOS (ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005). The Maxtor is my data drive (F:) and one SATA is partitioned as the C: drive and a backup I: drive. The other is also partitioned as a G: and J: drive for media storage.
I cannot get any HDD diagnostic software to give me SMART information. Speedfan and Diskcheckup cannot show any SMART info, and the sensors option in Gabriel Topolas excellent SIW says Winbond cannot be found. Can someone suggest what is wrong and why my SMART disks aren't so smart after all!

Stuartli 21:26 15 Oct 08

Is the Bios Enabled for S.M.A.R.T reporting?

I use DriveSmart (freeware) which reports the SMART data:

click here

Boluwd 21:32 15 Oct 08

Hi Stuartli

I cannot find anywhere in the BIOS which gives an option to enable SMART reporting. I've downloaded DriveSmart and it just reports " unable to find a device with SMART support".

bluto1 21:56 15 Oct 08

click here
If all you're looking for is the status of your hard drives, this programme will tell you.

Stuartli 21:56 15 Oct 08

Could be that it's because there are three drives in use; you should normally be able to select which drive you wish to check from the main panel.

Most hard drives in the past few years have S.M.A.R.T available.

You could try SeaTools diagnostic software from Seagate/Maxtor (can be used with most hard drives). See:

click here

Stuartli 21:59 15 Oct 08

Belarc Advisor is not the same thing as SMART diagnostics...:-)

DieSse 22:24 15 Oct 08

SMART data is held inside the hard drive. Programs such as ActiveSMART can read it

click here (free trial).

The Maxtor will definayely be SMART capable. I'm not sure about SCSI drives/controllers - though I would suspect they would be.

SMART enabling is normally done in the motherboard BIOS. What motherboard do you have? (rather than just the BIOS) - then someone may be able to read the manual for it.

Boluwd 22:27 15 Oct 08

Stuartli

Tried Seatools, but i just get the message this device may not support pass through" and then the program just closes down. This is very weird!The bios is a Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG, on a Mesh Computer, a 5 year old (this month) with AMD Athlon 3000+CPU. I wonder if the fact that I run Roxio GoBack3 on the drives has anything to do with it?

Boluwd 22:28 15 Oct 08

DieSse
The mobo is A7N8X2.0 Deluxe.

MarvintheAndroid 23:06 15 Oct 08

There should be an option in BIOS to enable SMART. Have another look.

Marv

Boluwd 23:35 15 Oct 08

Just read this here click here

Drives connected to the Silicon Image® RAID connectors do not support non-RAID function.

What does that mean? My OS Windows XP is stored on a partition on one of the SATA drives. I have not activated RAID at all. I'm purely using the disks as if they were normal IDE types.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017