Where to put the money-mobo, graphics or ram?

hba4345 14:29 11 Jan 06

First post on this site, have been looking through it and there seem to be a lot of helpful members here.
My question is this - I am looking to spend around 1k on a new PC, but when I spec up what I would like it always ends up around the 1400 mark. To get down to my budget I need to give up the performance from somewhere, and I am asking where to shed it from?
The PC will be used for gaming primarily, so I am loathe to choose a low spec graphics card. Yet they are pretty easy to upgrade later, so on ther other hand I am tempted to go for a good CPU and mobo then save up for a graphic card later. Any advice?

Belatucadrus 15:13 11 Jan 06

Outline the spec of what you're looking at and I'm sure the gamers will tell you where you can economise.
Have you considered an Xbox 360 for games & a more basic spec PC for other stuff ?

SG Atlantis® 15:20 11 Jan 06

consoles just aren't the same for games as PCs.

I'd do the latter of your suggestions, go all out now, get a good mobo with SLI support, good RAM and cpu and then save for the bigger graphics card. Who knows by the time you save them pennies for the graphics card it may have dropped a bit in price!

ade.h 15:35 11 Jan 06

I'm no gamer, but SG makes sense (and if I rememeber right, he works for a game retailer, so he's probably got an idea about it).

The graphics card market fluctuates more than any other and they are simple to change without changing anything else.

SG Atlantis® 15:40 11 Jan 06

Don't forget about the PSU. Get a good high quality one at least 400w minimum, so as when you upgrade the graphics you'll be a lot better off for it.

hba4345 15:44 11 Jan 06

Thanks for the advice Belatucadrus, but I really enjoy flight sims, and in this area the consoles can only cater to'arcade' games due to the limitations of the D pads.

My 'wanted' list would include a low response 17" or 19" flatscreen to replace my hulking great 19" CRT, dual core 64 bit CPU, PCI-e mobo with SLI for future upgrades, 1 GB of DDR ram, XP Pro, memory card reader, not too fussed about huge Raid HD arrays, 150 to 200 Gb sata would do.

Cheers SG Atlantis, the graphics card is probably the easiest component to upgrade at a later date.

Thanks for the quick replies.

rmcqua 16:03 11 Jan 06

If I were you hba4345, I would seriously consider one of these:
click here

ade.h 16:19 11 Jan 06

I like the Thermaltake case on that model.

ade.h 16:22 11 Jan 06

I'd be a bit wary of the absence of any info about the motherboard make/model/spec or the HDD manufacturer.

Would Novatech be forthcoming with more info if hba needed to ask?

hba4345 16:22 11 Jan 06

Thanks rmcqua, would you believe that I have tried to check out that site already(found a link from another thread), but when I tried to get additional details on the very system you sent me my server watchdog denies access due to "Adult material" because of this line in the address

..../pcsextra.html/.....

I am currently working in the Middle East and have found that net providers take a dim view of anything of this nature, even if it is just a nicely specced PC at a decent price. Perhaps the towers 'covers' are off and it's showing it's 'chassis'.

I'll certainly check it out once I get home in a week or so.

ade.h 17:35 11 Jan 06

That's what can happen if software sees the s from PCs and the ex from extra!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5