//some 3rd party need geo

where to put a Favicon

If I create a favicon for my website (not that it would see much action) do I just leave it in the root directory or does it need to be referenced somewhere in the html of my index page?

Forum Editor 18:26 12 Jan 04

in the root directory, so browsers can find it when someone adds your page to their favourites list.

The favicon must be exactly 16x16 pixels, and the file must be named: favicon.ico which is what the browser looks for - but I'm sure you know all that.

In the root directory is your answer.

thankyou kind sir,

as i say i cannot imagine that it would get called upon very often but it seems like a good idea to have one. Thanks again H,

brianatpcadvisor 18:37 12 Jan 04

Yeah, you just leave it in the root.
You have to comply with certain rules, it's got to be called favicon.ico and it's got to be 256 colours and 16x16 pixels.
Somefink I found is a cool utility called favorg which finds 'em all and will help keep them current, so you don't keep losing them.
Just ask google for favorg and you'll get loads of download url's.

PurplePenny 23:57 12 Jan 04

Was there a freebie on a PCA cover CD for creating Favicons or did I just imagine that? I've seen one somewhere ... in the downloads section perhaps?

I'm amazed at the detail that people manage to cram into just 256 pixels.

Penny

Forum Editor 00:31 13 Jan 04

but my personal favourite icon creator(mine and hundreds & thousands of other peoples') is
click here

I agree that microangelo is a handy tool but for the creation of actual windows icons (not what we,re talking about here I know)a far more advanced tool is Icon workshop by Axialis . For those like me who have no money a great alternative is IconArt by Conware which is in essence a blatant rip off of the basic microangelo studio but its free.

anyway I,ve created my favicon (using an old graphics program called presto pro-image plus by NewSoft that does a good job for bit by bit drawing although I had to covert the bitmap into .ico format using irfanview) so if you want to see it you know what you,ll have to do. (ah the cheek of it) Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…