Where to purchase fine steel mesh.?

Joe R 18:25 05 Oct 05

Can anyone help me find an online supplier, or shop in the Glasgow/Lanarkshire area, which sells fine steel mesh.

I do a lot of system building, and find that, in a lot of cases (usually the cheaper types), that the mesh does not stop larger spots of dirt/dust, getting into the system, and a finer mesh, usually results in a P.C. being cleaned out only once or twice a year, instead of the three or four times normally.

Totally-braindead 18:29 05 Oct 05

If you have a lot of trouble with dust then perhaps you should consider a new case, something with filters.

€dstowe 18:38 05 Oct 05

Why not use cotton cloth such as muslin. It's cheap and you can throw it away after use. Mount it over the current grill in the machine.

Joe R 18:38 05 Oct 05

Totally-braindead,

My own case is fine, it is when i build a system for other people, who may not want to spend a lot of money, for an expensive case.

Joe R 18:39 05 Oct 05

€dstowe,

Sounds like a good idea, I may give that a whirl.

Forum Editor 18:42 05 Oct 05

Very fine mesh will reduce the air flow rate even when it's clean, and certainly when it has accumulated a layer of dust. That will lead to the inside of the case being improperly ventilated, and overheating could occur.

woodchip 18:46 05 Oct 05

B&Q as a lot of sheet stuff in like that. The big shops

duce 18:50 05 Oct 05

garden centre is your best bet, but they a plastic, not always steel. if you need steel mesh e-mail me I will send you some

Joe R 18:58 05 Oct 05

duce,

thank you very much for the offer, but I will still need to find a regular supply.

The F.E. has made a very valid point about using fine mesh, and has now got me thinking of, Maybe a 1/4 inch mesh or so.

justme 19:14 05 Oct 05

Try going to your local motor factors shop and see what types of wire mesh they have. It is used when building up a fibre glass/resin patch on a large hole in the bodywork.

bruno 19:21 05 Oct 05

Central heating suppliers (good wholesalers)will stock proper air filter material which is used on warm air units.I know from experience these work well without restricting the passage of air.It is what it is designed for and is sold by the yard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…