Where is the product key kept?

martjc 12:27 20 Mar 05

How do i find the product key in Win Me. i have had a problem re-installing after a crash. i have two copies of Me. After the first attempt, the machine could not read part of the disk, so I put the other one in and continued from there. Now the system will not run Automatic updates - or update at all. I suspect it's something to do with the fact that I changed disks in mid stream.

Any suggestions? All help appreciated.

leo49 12:35 20 Mar 05

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/microsoft/windows/current version. Look for product key in right hand pane.

martjc 12:37 20 Mar 05

I think this will help with my problem.

leo49 12:48 20 Mar 05

I'm more than a little out of touch as to what's happening with Product Lifecycles and the withdrawal of MS product support for OS's prior to 2K & XP, but it could[repeat could] have some bearing on the failure to update. You might be better advised to download all you need from the Windows catalogue.

martjc 13:03 20 Mar 05

Even after changing the product key things do not update. I get a message saying "...unable to update. Close all programs and try again." I've done this several times now with no success. Will take your further advice. Thanks.

martjc 13:13 20 Mar 05

... I watched the attempt to download IE6. The numbers did not complete before it tried to install. Obviously the installation fails - at 93% - just my luck! Does anyone have any further advice? Please!!!

Technotiger 13:54 20 Mar 05

Don't know if this will help - but worth a look I think.

click here

Cheers.

spuds 13:55 20 Mar 05

Download and run this Everest click here or Belarc click here Either or both products will give you a good selection of information about your computer.

TomJerry 14:00 20 Mar 05

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41 click here

BT 09:13 21 Mar 05

Download RockXP from here click here
It will find all MS product keys on your computer.

martjc 12:37 21 Mar 05

Case closed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…