Where is my WEP?

penguin101 13:10 24 Feb 10

I am trying to find my WEP, I have no idea where to look.

Pineman100 14:19 24 Feb 10

I think you need to give us a bit more information. Do you want to know where your WEP key can be found on your computer? Or what?

rizlo29 14:51 24 Feb 10

Most router manufacturers print the wep key default password on the back or on the bottom of the router.

penguin101 15:03 24 Feb 10

I do want to know where you can find the WEP key on the computer. I have a laptop which I would like to set up to be wireless. My son has purchased a new ps3 and we are trying to make this wireless. The ps3 has asked for the WEP key. I have looked at the number on the bottom of the router and will try this. Would still like to know where you can access via my computer. Thanks..

bremner 15:17 24 Feb 10

If you look at the documentation that came with the router it will tell you what you need to type into the address bar ofa browser to access the router setup.

For most it will be an IP address like 192.168.1.2 or if it is a BT Homehub then it is bthomehub.home

Once into the router settings there will be a tab or link to wireless security. This is where you will find the WEP password.

rizlo29 16:04 24 Feb 10

Bremner is correct, you configure the wep key through router settings.

What router do you use???

If Bremner's suggestions dont get you to the routers logging page (which it should~) then find out the default gateway (which is the routers ip address) and type that into the address bar on your browser.

Note that when you enter router it will prompt you for a default password...again this may well be printed on the router.

BurrWalnut 16:04 24 Feb 10

1. Using the Ethernet cable to access the router’s set up details is done by typing 192.168.x.y into a browser address bar window. The values of x and y depend upon the make of router. If you don’t know the values, in a Run window (Windows key+R), type cmd /k ipconfig (note the two spaces) and press Enter. Make a note of the Default Gateway address and enter it into the browser window. When asked for the Username and Password, type the default values for your router (see the user manual).
2. Look for a section named wireless or similar wording and find an SSID name and a Security key. Change the SSID to something more meaningful to you but don‘t use obvious names, like your name. Also, if the key type is set to WEP, change it to the more secure WPA, unless computers with older WEP-type adapters want to connect. Now change the Security key and make a note of it and the SSID.
3. Your router may have a section that allows you to backup and restore its configuration details. If so, make a backup to enable you to easily restore the set up in the event of having to reset the router to factory settings.
4. The SSID and key are needed for any wireless computer to connect to a router. The software varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but generally it involves right-clicking the wireless network adapter’s icon in the Notification Area (bottom right of screen) and following the prompts to create the connection

peter99co 20:26 24 Feb 10

If you Google your router type it may be possible to download a Manual for it. I have just downloaded one for mine and it is a PDF file and shows WEP and WPA setting up very clearly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…