Where is my 8mb Cache ?

Audeal 00:24 27 Apr 03

Last Wednesday I posted a thread concerning the purchase of a heard drive and. I needed to know what some of the codes meant which they use when describing the drives.
click here After the very valuable advice given to me I ordered the drive suggested.

This drive was delivered on Friday morning. When I did a close check of the information on the drive I could not find any mention of the 8mb Cache.I sent a message to EBuyer to inquire if this was the correct drive that I ordered. I have not heard from them yet, but I am still waiting.

Can anybody tell me if I could expect to find any mention of the 8mb Cache on the label of the drive, and if so could I assume this is not the drive I ordered but a cheaper one without the 8mb Cache.

I thank anybody who can help me in this matter.

powerless 00:31 27 Apr 03

click here download and install "AIDA32 - Personal System Information".

Then open her up and follow this path...

(On the left) Click STORAGE > Then Click EIDE > Then click on your new drive at the top.

Look down the list under FIELD.

Look for BUFFER and it should tell you your cache size there.

Example: 8MB (as mine does)

Obviously you have yo have your new drive installed for Aida32 to recogonise the drive.

Also look on the drives shiny surface for a model name/number then go the manfactures website and try and find it. You'll be able to see if you have your drive and the 8MB cache.

clayton 00:51 27 Apr 03

click here

look in device manager for this number

Audeal 01:00 27 Apr 03

Hi Powerless. I have Aida32 but I have not installed the Hard Drive yet as I do not wish to open the static bag untill I know if this is the correct drive.

But I can see that what you are saying may be the only way to find out, although I am hoping there is a different method without installing the drive.

I may wait until I hear from EBuyer to see what they say. If I do not get any satisfaction from them then I might install it and do exactly as you suggest.

Clayton. The sereal number is on the drive, if I can find this on the web site then it might tell me what I want to know. I never thaught of doing this before. You sertainly jogged my forgetfull memory. Many thanks for that.

I will post back when I have checked this out.

Audeal 02:12 27 Apr 03

Well I have checked the site but can't find out much. I can't find the ser,no. on there.

Also the text is so small that I needed a magnifying glass to read it, and that was after changing the screen display. It is almost impossible to read.

I guess I will have to install it and format it and then check it that way.

DieSse 02:17 27 Apr 03

You don't need the serial number - just the make and model number - post it, and someone will look it up, I'm sure - or at least point you at the relevant site.

crx16 02:18 27 Apr 03

how much did you pay?

click here £98,without 8MB cache

click here £108 with 8MB cache

powerless 02:21 27 Apr 03

click here

DiamondMax® Plus 9

6Y080P0 - 7,200 - 80GB - 8MB

Looks like your drive and the same model as clayton gives.

Here is your drive click here

Djohn 02:32 27 Apr 03

If you bought the Maxtor drive, then the following is from the site.

Diamondmax plus 9 model no's starting and ending, as, 6YO****LO, are 2mg cache.

Diamondmax plus 9 model no's starting and ending, as 6YO****MO, are 8mg cache. So if yours ends with "MO" then you have the 8mg version. J.

Djohn 02:36 27 Apr 03

"MO" is for the serial drive. Powerless is corect, ending with "PO" J.

powerless 02:39 27 Apr 03

That contradicts this > click here which says 6Y080P0 is an 80GB drive with an 8 cache.

Where as 6Y080M0 is 80GB drive with an 8 Cache but these drives are SATA drives different to ATA to what he brought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…