where to install .dll files

fullywired23 13:08 10 May 03

windows XP pro, 256Mb RAM, Geforce 4 ultra 650 AGP graphics & 40Gb HDD.
after re-installing windows XP over the old O/S (also XP pro) when trying to install the graphics card drivers I get following error message:
"the InstallSheild engine (ikernel.exe) could not be launched. class not registered"

Also upon restarting my P.C, when windows loads I get another error message saying there is a missing .dll file (ADVAPI32.DLL). I have downloaded the file and would like to know where to install it on my P.C

Or would it be better to format Drive C and start again
Regards
Viejo's grandson

VoG™ 13:12 10 May 03

ADVAPI32.DLL belongs in C:\Windows\System32

VoG™ 13:18 10 May 03

I believe that the InstallShield error can occur if you try to install something when you need to be logged in as the Administrator.

fullywired23 21:28 10 May 03

thanks vog
I placed the .dll file in C:\Windows\System32 and it said it was already there and I was on the administrators profile but then solved all my problems by formatting the c:\ drive and starting again, However now I have a problem with Nero burning rom!! I reinstalled nero and after installing the latest update (downloaded directly from the nero website) and then trying to use nero I get yet another error message saying that the nero executeable file has been modified and that my P.C may have a virus! but then I installed the update again and it seems to have cured it for now so can anyone think of a way of stopping this from happening again??
thanks again
viejo's grandson

VoG™ 21:31 10 May 03

1) I think that you ought to tick this one as resolved and post a new one about Nero (which I don't use).

2) Why not become a registered user in your own right instead of logging in as viejo?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…