Where to I get drivers on line

Border View 11:07 08 Jan 04

Am in the local library.

Computer is goosed. I have been having problems with my DVD/CR-RW coupled with DMA not enabling. Yesterday I telephoned Evesham Technical Support and after some checks it was suggested that I reinstall Windows 98SE in a different Director, i.e Windows2. With the help of Tech Support I started the process. I was told that by doing it this way I would retain any data but would have to reinstall drivers and software.

During the process noticed the following:

An error occured loading..... the undermentioned files.... C:|PROGRAM~1\OUTLOO~1\oeimport.dll C:|PROGRAM~1\OUTLOO~1\msoe.dll C:|PROGRAM~1\COMMON~1\System\Wab32.dll

At the conclusion of installing Windows 98SE I then attempted to reinstall the drivers following the order that Evesham had told me.

First Graphics. I placed my Nvidia disc in the D Drive and got a fleeting glance of something loading. At this stage my screen was in Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) and remained so.

I then started to load drivers for Sound, Modem (difficulties there) printer and scanner.

The screen remained in Standard Graphics.

Then, I cant remember after what, the D Driver disappeared completely not in my computer, nor in Device Manager.

In Device Manager a fault shows up with the Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) and Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

I think one of my problems stems from the fact that Evesham changed the Graphics card back in 2002 and didnt give me the driver.

I know I have problems with the modem driver as well.

I think I need new Graphics Driver and a Driver for my Samsung SM304 Combo Drive.

I havent slept. Can anyone please advise as of urgency because I'm in the Library and will have to make alternative arrangements to download any drivers - point me in the direction of web sites and I shall take a note and try downloading elsewhere.

I havent phoned Evesham yet.

Jester2K 11:16 08 Jan 04

List the make and model of all the devices you need drivers for. Otherwise how do we know where to send you???

Nvidia is at click here

CD Drives (inc DVD and Combo drives) don't need drivers. Windows just supports them with built in drivers. Once the IDE Controller is sorted out then the Combo dive should come back.

Big Elf 11:31 08 Jan 04

I've also posted this in your sisters thread. Read FE's suggestion at click here

Terrahawk 11:32 08 Jan 04

related thread click here

Big Elf 11:32 08 Jan 04

As you're working from the library and to save time I'll post FE's suggestion in its entirety:

"Often uninstalling and reinstalling your IDE controllers will have no effect. The compatibility mode is being forced because the protected mode driver isn't being properly initialised, and that usually means that a value (NOIDE) has been placed in the registry to stop Windows from trying to initialise the protected mode driver.
The cure is a registry edit, and if you feel up to that you can almost certainly fix the problem:

1. Always back up your registry before editing it in any way.

2. Click Start, then select Run, and type regedit. Now click on file and select 'Export'. Save your registry file to your desktop and you're ready to begin.

3. Navigate down to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS

4. You should see a value named "NoIDE". Right click on the name, select Delete from the context menu, close regedit and reboot.

5. Go back to the registry and search for BAD_IDE (You can Search the registry by pressing F3 while working in the registry editor.) Delete any BAD_IDE values you find.

Your computer should now be OK but make sure all is well before deleting the regisry back up file from your desktop."

Big Elf 11:38 08 Jan 04

Regarding the error message on loading. Try reinstalling Outlook Express.

Trackrat 12:05 08 Jan 04

The ide problem.
Did they tell you to reinstall the motherboard drivers

Stuartli 13:15 08 Jan 04

If you are having problems finding one or more of the drivers despite the excellent advice already provided, keying in the required driver into google will usually bring up several sources to obtain it (them).

Sheila-214876 15:11 08 Jan 04

If you use the link to driverguide provided by seekit, when you are asked for ID and Password, type in "drivers" as the ID and "all" as the password. You won't have to register then.

Big Elf 18:26 08 Jan 04

I've had a further thought particularly since you mentioned your concerns which, I'm guessing are about losing your data. If you have access to another hard driver then fit that and copy your data over to it.

Border View 14:25 09 Jan 04

Thank you for all your responses which at the time I was unable to view.

As an update. Yesterday with the fantastic help of the Technical Support staff at Evesham I reformatted hard drive and reinstalled Windows 98SE then reinstalled all relevant drivers from the disks in my possession.

Computer is as good as new - although having said that I havent loaded Power DVD yet. Havent got the nerve. Its times like this that your really appreciate backing up to the proper medium.

I've lost three years work on family history. Oh well.

Nice to be back.

Again thank you for your responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…