Where is home page list?

Glyn-252301 17:13 18 Sep 04

I run Win98se and have picked up a lot of rubbish
on home page, proberly a browser hijacker. I need to find the list so as to edit it to my requirements. Regards G.

johnnyrocker 17:20 18 Sep 04

top of page tools internet options/general tab.

johnny.

Djohn 17:21 18 Sep 04

Have you run adaware and spybot S&D first? Do you have a good anti-virus checker that is up to date? That is what I would check first. When the system is clean of any virus or spyware you can look at your start-up folder to set what you want to load on booting.

Stuartli 17:35 18 Sep 04

You also need to ensure that in the Connections tab from the same Internet Options panel that Always Dial My Default Connection i.e. your ISP is enabled.

Glyn-252301 18:57 18 Sep 04

Thanks johnnyrocker I know the directions you gave
but I cannot get at the script from there, I was expcting a drop down list but nothing there.
Hi Djohn how are you? I have run all the utilities under the sun the cause is dead, now I want to get at the script to put it right. Stuartli, is that neccessary on broadband, I ask this because I could not find my default connection there is a lot of greyed out stuff, maybe I have damaged files. I will use latest image to repair. Thanks for your responses folk.
Regards G.

johnnyrocker 19:02 18 Sep 04

my thinking was to highlight the first address and keep deleting til box clear then insert the home page you rquire, dial up might be correct if via usb connection.

johnny.

Djohn 19:18 18 Sep 04

Stuartli is correct if you have still got your dial-up modem connected to the phone line. Although your using broadband and cannot be redirected to a premium dialler from there, you can still have an infection that will download via broadband then use the dial-up modem to dial out.

Try an on line scan from here, Trend-micro. click here

If that doesn't find anything then posting a "highjack this" log to the forum will enable someone to check out your system and tell you what needs ticking to be removed.

Glyn-252301 19:48 18 Sep 04

johnnyrocker yes I did that but only a couple of adds. in there. I am on cable router with ntl broadband modem with a network so no usb but ethernet and there is no dial up modem. Will try the scan Djohn, thanks. If no joy will use acronis
or drive image for recent file and return to clean setup. Regards G.

Glyn-252301 20:17 18 Sep 04

Shows the importance of backups, nice to play about and find the cause but some times nice to use backup and have an easy ride. Thankyou all for input. Regards G.

Stuartli 09:12 19 Sep 04

You didn't state you were using broadband originally...:-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…