Where has my mouse gone?

Farleyjim 19:07 12 Oct 03

Today I changed the hard disc in a computer and formatted and loaded windows 98se. The problem I have is that the mouse wasn't recognised. Despite this I continued to load and completed without any further snags. However, when I start windows it still doesn't see the mouse. I have checked the PS2 connector and the lead to the mother board without any obvious problems showing up. I have tried 3 different mice, all of which work on another machine. Any ideas please?

dazzling 19:13 12 Oct 03

is there any drivers for the rodents.i did same thing on my friends pc and got same result but couldnt finish loading windows.98 appears to have limited mouse drivers in end had to get my logitech mouse picked that up ok but he had to find the driver for his.darren

Farleyjim 08:44 14 Oct 03

Today I changed the hard disc in a computer and formatted and loaded windows 98se. The problem I have is that the mouse wasn't recognised. Despite this I continued to load and completed without any further snags. However, when I start windows it still doesn't see the mouse. I have checked the PS2 connector and the lead to the mother board without any obvious problems showing up. I have tried 3 different mice, all of which work on another machine. Any ideas please?

menorcarob2 16:53 14 Oct 03

SYMPTOMS When you connect a Microsoft Plug and Play Serial Mouse, Microsoft EasyBall, or Microsoft IntelliMouse to your computer, the new device may not be detected by Windows. Running the Add New Hardware Wizard does not correct the problem. CAUSEThe registry entries for your previous pointing device were not properly removed from the registry. This problem is known to occur when your previous pointing device was a Microsoft, Microsoft-compatible, or Logitech mouse. RESOLUTIONNOTE : For information about how to edit the registry, view the Changing Keys And Values online Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe). Note that you should make a backup copy of the registry files (System.dat and User.dat) before you edit the registry. WARNING : Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows 95. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. To work around this problem, use the following steps:
Step 1: Save Your Current Registry Files
1. Click Start , click Run , type regedit , and then click OK .
2. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File .
3. In the Save in box, make sure Desktop is selected. This allows you to easily see the Registry backup file from your general Windows desktop view.
4. In the File name box, type regbak .
Step 2: Remove the Registry Keys for Your Previous Pointing Device

1. Remove the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Mouse\<nnnn> where <nnnn> is an incremental four-digit number starting at 0000. 2. Remove the following registry keys, if they exist: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Root\Mouse\<nnnn> where <nnnn> in an incremental four-digit number starting at 0000.
3. Remove all registry keys under the following registry key, if they exist: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Serenum
4. Remove the following registry key, if it exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Logitech\Mouseware 5. Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties . 6. On the Device Manager tab, click each serial pointing device, and then click Remove . 7. Click OK . 8. Restart Windows. When you restart Windows, the attached pointing device is detected and the appropriate drivers are installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…